Chapter 10 : The Beginning Of Forever

The day of Yahya's Nikah had arrived, and he couldn't contain his happiness. He was finally marrying the first girl who had ever captured his heart. The thought of Maryam becoming his wife filled him with an overwhelming sense of joy. But as Yahya eagerly anticipated their union, he was completely unaware of the storm brewing in Maryam's mind.

Maryam, dressed in her bridal attire, felt anything but the joy that usually accompanies such a day. Vulnerable and overwhelmed, she was fighting an internal battle. She had spent her entire life dreaming of the moment she would marry a man who would love her unconditionally, someone who would be her 'one and only.' But now, she was questioning everything.

The night before, Alina had sent her a recording of a conversation between her and Yahya. Despite her attempts to remind herself that it was all in the past, hearing that recording shattered her. If it was truly his past, then why was he still in contact with Alina? The doubt gnawed at her, poisoning her thoughts.

Maryam tried to keep her composure, but her emotions were a tangled mess. She had barely eaten, and the anxiety had left her feeling drained. She desperately wanted to confront Yahya, to clear the air before their Nikah, but fear held her back. What if she was wrong? What if confronting him would only ruin the relationship before it even began?

As she stood before the mirror, her reflection showed a bride, but inside, Maryam felt far from ready to take the leap into marriage. She silently prayed, asking Allah for guidance, for strength, and for the clarity to make the right decision. But deep down, she couldn't shake the feeling that this was not the fairy tale she had always dreamed of.

Yahya, meanwhile, was oblivious to Maryam's turmoil. He was lost in thoughts of their future together, not realizing that Maryam's world was crumbling. As the time for their Nikah drew nearer, the weight of the situation pressed heavily on Maryam's heart, leaving her unsure if she could go through with it at all.

The moment had arrived. Maryam was seated in her living room, a vision of beauty in her bridal attire, every bit the stunning bride. Compliments poured in from her closest relatives, who had been invited to witness her Nikah. But despite the smiles and the warm words surrounding her, Maryam felt a storm brewing inside.

Her house, located just across from the mosque, buzzed with excitement. Yahya, the groom, was in the masjid, and the Nikah ceremony was underway. Maryam's heart pounded in her chest, each beat louder than the last. She was about to sign away her life to a man she barely knew, a man she wasn't sure she could trust.

"Kya aap ko ye Nikah qubool hai?" the Qazi asked Yahya, his voice clear and strong.

Maryam held her breath, her world narrowing down to this moment.

"Qubool hai," Yahya's voice rang out, cheerful and firm, echoing in her mind like a cruel reminder. "It's all fake,"she thought, the words cutting through her like a knife. Her heart ached, and she had to force herself to smile as everyone hugged her, congratulating her on her new life.

The house was filled with joy and celebration, but Maryam felt like she was drowning. She wanted to lock herself away, to cry and ask Allah why this was happening to her. But she couldn't show her pain—not now, not in front of everyone who was so happy for her. She felt like she was on the verge of breaking, her heart so heavy it hurt to even breathe.

And then, Yahya entered the living room. The cheers and chatter faded into the background as his eyes found Maryam. For him, everything else was a blur. She sat there, her gaze downcast, looking even more beautiful than he could have imagined. Yahya's breath caught in his throat; he couldn't tear his eyes away from her.

He walked over and sat next to her, his heart pounding so hard he was sure Maryam could hear it. Leaning in close, he whispered in her ear, his voice soft and sincere, "Allah's gifts are beautiful, and you are the most beautiful one."

Maryam froze. His words were like a balm to her tortured soul, but they also felt like a cruel trick. She raised her eyes to meet his for the first time, their gazes locking. Yahya's intense stare melted something inside her, but it also deepened the pain she felt. He was glowing, looking every bit the perfect groom, but to her, it was all a lie. How could he be so genuine when she knew this was just an act?

Yahya wanted to speak to her in private, to give her something special, but they were surrounded by family. He felt trapped, unable to express the emotions swirling inside him. As he prepared to leave, he made a request to Fatima, Maryam's sister.

"Just five minutes," Yahya asked quietly. Fatima nodded, understanding, and led Maryam to where Yahya was waiting. "Only five minutes," she reminded them before leaving them alone.

The air between them was thick with awkwardness. Yahya cleared his throat, feeling the tension. Maryam's silence, her distant demeanor, made him uneasy. He knew he had to say something, to do something to break the ice.

Reaching into his pocket, Yahya pulled out a small velvet box. Opening it, he revealed a beautiful diamond ring, its band gleaming in the light. "Wear this," he said, his voice soft but steady, "as proof that you are only mine, forever."

He gently took Maryam's hand, slipping the ring onto her finger. Maryam's emotions churned inside her. She was on the verge of telling him everything—about Alina, about the recording, about her doubts. But before she could speak, Fatima returned, her voice breaking the moment.

"Time's up, guys. Everyone's asking for you," she said, and just like that, the moment was over.

Maryam followed her sister back, the weight of the ring on her finger reminding her of the lie she felt she was living, while Yahya was left wondering why the brief time alone with his new bride had felt so heavy with unspoken words.