Part 4 - An extraordinary woman

"Fina, I'll be leaving tonight."
"Tonight?" Fina turned pale.
"My suitcases are already in the car."
The announcement was like a stone in Fina's stomach. She knew that time was of the essence. Don Damian had already spoken to Marta's brothers, Marta had been able to tell her that much. Andrés had actually objected out of concern for Marta, but he had gone unheard. Jaime was in the infirmary at that moment to sort things out with Dr Borrell. For today he was probably distracted until late at night, but from tomorrow onwards his full attention would be on his wife and their departure together. It would be virtually impossible for Marta to escape then. Fina understood, but she wasn't sure if she could say goodbye to everyone and everything here in Toledo so quickly. And she knew even less how to explain it to her father.
"Fina..." Marta lifted her head. "I don't expect you to come with me today. On the contrary. I think it would be better, safer, if you followed me in a week's time."
"I doubt people can't put one and one together," Fina interjected.
Marta nodded. "I'm sure there will be some who can. But there will probably also be plenty of people who only see what they want to see. Who only know what they want to know. And who don't even think about certain things. If you don't believe something is possible, you can't imagine it."

She smiled for a breath as she remembered how she'd felt the same way when she'd seen the adult Fina again and had that strange feeling in the pit of her stomach - and later elsewhere - for the first time. It couldn't possibly be attraction, Marta had thought at the time; after all, Fina was a woman.

"It plays into our hands that my father will try to avoid a scandal. I wouldn't be surprised if it's rumoured that I've already left for Andalusia to wait for Jaime. In the end, Jaime might even have to travel to Andalusia alone just to keep up the lie." Marta shrugged her shoulders. She didn't really care what her father or anyone else would think or do in the end.
Fina remained silent. They hadn't even had a full day. And she was exhausted. Grief was exhausting and the last two weeks had already taken their toll. Today, despite all the joy she felt, was also a day that was hard on her bones. The storm called Marta had shaken her to the core. She wanted nothing more than to spend the rest of the evening by the river in Marta's arms, to finally have some time to relax, to finally settle down.
"I know, querida, I know," whispered Marta, who seemed to have guessed her thoughts. "There's nothing I'd rather do right now than sit here with you, wait for the sun to set and kiss you until even the moon goes to sleep." Marta only gave her a quick kiss.

"We'll have that, Fina, I promise you." She paused for a moment. "And it's a promise I'll keep. Just have a little more patience. Just a little more." Marta uttered the words almost pleadingly.
Fina nodded. Now was not the time for doubts. And also not the time for wishes that could only be fulfilled in the future. Nevertheless, she sighed.
"What's going through your mind?" asked Marta.
"I have no idea how to explain all this to my father."
Marta looked at her wordlessly for a long time. She understood how important it was for Fina to say goodbye to her father, and not just on good terms. Even if Fina still had a week to do so, he had to know by then, indeed be absolutely certain, that his daughter was in good hands. Accompanied and surrounded by love.
"Fina...," Marta began, "maybe we'll tell him today. Together."
The lump in Fina's stomach now moved into her throat.
"Agreed?" Marta asked with a smile.
"Agreed," whispered Fina.

--

As expected, Fina found her father in the manor's kitchen. It had already become quiet in the house, so Fina could assume that she would be able to talk to him undisturbed. She took several deep breaths before entering the kitchen. Marta would be joining her in a few minutes; they had decided that it was better not to enter the house together.
"Hola, padre."
"Fina! Come and sit with your old father. Where have you been? I thought you were here for dinner. Have you been out with Carmen? Digna left the leftovers on the cooker for you. Are you hungry?" He pointed to the seat next to him. "Come on, come on, have some, it's delicious. And finally sit down with me and tell me what you've been up to."
As always, Isidro was barely able to stop his flow of words. But the fact that his daughter remained silent did not escape his notice.
"What's going on, hija? What has happened?"
"I'm going to leave. I'll be gone by the end of the week."