chapter 2 'it's a date'

I drive to work while chatting with my mom on the phone, a daily routine where we catch up and wish each other a great day. as she take my sister and daughter to school, and I bid them all a good day before hanging up and walking into the building. As I enter, I'm greeted by the usual trio - Lihle, Liz, and the HR lady - engaged in their morning gossip session. They're the office tea experts, always dishing out the latest scoop on anyone and everyone. I tease them with a playful 'Ngicela nililethe lishisa' (I want to be served tea) as I head towards the elevator, where Lihle follows with my usual morning treats - coffee and a sandwich. She knows me so well that I don't even need to ask; she just gets me whatever she thinks I'll like. As we ride the elevator, Lihle fills me in on the latest office tea and confirms my schedule for the day. 

I settle in and put the finishing touches on my monthly report, detailing the cases I've worked on and supervised. By 11 am, I submit the report to my director and receive new cases for the month, which I need to review and assign to the rest of my department. I dive into the task, and by 3 pm, I've completed the assignments and am ready to call it a day.Lihle is ecstatic about knocking off early, but I know this rare luxury won't last. Our work is often complex and demanding, requiring extended hours and field work beyond the typical office schedule. I'm sure we'll be putting in late nights soon enough, so I let Lihle enjoy this brief respite while it lasts.

I drive to De Beers mine to get umgxabhiso, as it's the only place in Kimberly where I can find traditional food. When I arrive at the stand, I'm warmly welcomed by ukaMondise, who's always excited to see me because I never forget to buy her a drink whenever I visit. We share a special bond, being from the same hometown of Kwamaphumulo in KZN.I park and walk to the container, pay for my plate of ulusu no jeqe, and head to the chairs to wait for my order. That's when I spot Zipho, dressed in protective gear and chatting loudly with the other guys -you'd swear i'm back in durban emakethe. I would have never guessed he worked in a mine! He looks like he's in his element, and I'm surprised by this unexpected encounter

Our eyes meet, and Zipho flashes a warm smile as he walks towards me. 'Kamanzini,' he says softly, using my clan name, which never fails to make me smile. I feel a sudden shyness wash over me, and I greet him back with a blush. We engage in small talk, exchanging pleasantries until my order is ready.As I prepare to leave, Zipho walks me to my car, opens the door, and holds it open for me. His chivalrous gesture makes me feel special, and I appreciate the kindness. I get in, feeling a sense of excitement .

'Ngicela ukukukhipha ksasa ntambama' (can i take you out tomorrow), he says, his gaze soft yet intense. There's something incredibly calming about his presence; he exudes a tranquil aura that puts me at ease. His scent is intoxicating, making my heart skip a beat. a strong, chiseled face, with piercing eyes that seem to see right through to my soul. His  skin glistens with a warm, golden undertone. His hair is neatly trimmed, revealing a prominent forehead and sharp jawline. He stands tall, with broad shoulders and a confident stride, exuding a sense of quiet strength and authority. His smile is disarming, revealing a hint of mischief and kindness. And when he speaks, his deep, resonant voice sends shivers down my spine, making me feel seen, heard, and understood. As I bask in his captivating gaze, his deep baritone voice startles me, 'Mama' . I'm taken aback by my own soft response, 'Okay,' a stark contrast to my usual deep voice. He flashes a charming smile and tells me to be ready at 6 pm; he'll pick me up.