Echos in the Night Sky

No Ones PoV

A hangar echoed with the rhythmic clanking of tools and the faint hum of machinery, but it was the singing that truly filled the space. A deep, resonant voice carried the tune, the words clear and unwavering, cutting through the air like a blade.

"From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli..."

Alex stood at the side of the F4U Corsair, his hands steady as he tightened a bolt on the landing gear. The aircraft was a classic, a piece of history that seemed almost out of place in the modern world. Yet, to Alex, it was as familiar as breathing. He had spent countless hours in the cockpit of this very model, its controls and quirks etched into his memory like the back of his hand.

"We fight our country's battles, in the air, on land, and sea..."

His voice was steady, unwavering, as he continued to work on the plane. The song was an old one, a marching tune that had been passed down through the generations of soldiers and airmen. It was a song that spoke of duty, honor, and the sacrifices made in the name of freedom. But for Alex, it was more than just a song. It was a connection to a past that few others could understand.

The hangar doors creaked open, and a figure stepped inside, drawn by the sound of the singing. Emily's eyes scanned the space, quickly spotting Alex as he worked on the aircraft. She paused for a moment, listening to the lyrics, a soft smile tugging at the corners of her lips. There was something about Alex's voice, the way it carried the weight of history and experience, that always struck a chord with her.

She approached quietly, not wanting to disturb him, but Alex had always been attuned to his surroundings. Without looking up from his work, he spoke, his voice carrying over the steady rhythm of his movements.

"Didn't expect to see you here, Enty. Thought you'd be resting."

Emily chuckled softly, stepping closer until she was standing beside him. "Resting? With you singing like that? I had to come see what was going on. Besides, I wanted to check on you."

Alex finally looked up, meeting her gaze with a small smile. "I'm fine. Just needed to clear my head. Figured working on something familiar would help."

Emily's eyes drifted over the Corsair, her expression thoughtful. "This plane... it's different from the others. I can feel it. It's like it's tied to you in some way."

Alex's smile faded slightly, his gaze turning back to the aircraft. "It's an old friend. One of the first planes I ever flew. There's a lot of history in this metal."

Emily could hear the weight in his words, the unspoken stories that lingered just beneath the surface. She knew better than to push, but her curiosity was piqued. "What kind of history?"

Alex paused for a moment, considering his response. "War history. This plane saw action in some of the fiercest battles. It's a survivor, just like me."

"First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean..."

The words came out softer now, almost as if Alex was singing to himself. Emily watched him closely, sensing that there was more to this than just a simple tune.

"Is that why you're singing that song?" she asked gently. "Because of what this plane's been through?"

Alex nodded slowly. "Yeah. It's a song that reminds me of the men who flew planes like this. The ones who didn't make it back. It's a way to honor them, I guess. Keep their memory alive."

Emily felt a pang of emotion in her chest. She had always known that Alex carried the weight of his experiences, but moments like this made it even more apparent. "You honor them every day, Alex. Just by being who you are."