Chapter Five - Mercy Killing

Chapter Five of Ten

Mercy Killing

Paws ached climbing hundreds upon hundreds of steps towards the Triumvirates chamber with the group of Pro, Howl, Dakem, Fortaime and Valessa who were all looking forward to some rest and relaxation having finally come down from the war adrenaline surviving the greatest battle in Alestia's history.

Fortaime had loved looking down the hundreds of zigzag stairs enveloped by the darkness below them but everyone else had eventually lost their nerve to look over the ledge to a certain death plunge the higher they went. A small amount of terror climbing in sync with the grand staircase and the lack of a bannister mocked the one Triumvirate who went over previously meanwhile Howl had been made the motivation mover keeping the group pushing forward before their fears could stop them.

Pro's seasick legs soon came to tilt the runner who had moved ahead of the group trying to outrun his fear of heights altogether, this decision doing no favours to the rest of the group just waiting to see the Husky fall over the edge. Never again would Pro grumble about the HQ being underground.

Solid and stable, beautiful ground.

Valessa had stayed side by side with her resurrector keeping her eyes on the over-excited Fortaime, her laser-focus gaze enough to freeze Medusa herself had the bunny paid even the slightest bit of attention to her straining panic deep in her foxy blue eyes, just forward of the two scribes Damek and Howl were quietly keeping tabs on everyone also having an in-depth discussion of their individual battles and scars to expect in the coming days.

Damek brainstormed ways to subdue today's battle fearing it would ignite past trauma of the occupation by those who had fallen in battle, his concern particularly apparent for Pro whose behaviour was becoming more unstable. Little did Damek know it was his own exhaustion he was failing to remedy having refused to take a break since the crack of dawn.

Since the battle had been won those who had survived slowly soaked in a sense of hope which grew in the biting cold mist, the ice blizzard gusting away stenches of defeat and decay from the Triumvirate's reign with buildings burning for warmth also entrapping spirit guard husks to infernal dying flames.

Sensations of hope weighed heavily on survivors as Damek's explanation of salvation for all who had died was something only a benevolent god could offer. A better future kept the young leader inspired for it was hard for Damek to resist the lure of faith that followed him all his life.

Howl could never believe in blind hope alone knowing no matter what the Triumvirate promises, they will always find a way to break the hearts and minds of the rebellion simply using the rebel's dreams to buy time to live. That's the trouble with hope, it's hard to resist and this fed Howls concerns further picturing the possibility this uncertain foe could start to wield the Triumvirate's control once again.

In truth, Howl's main concern was the impossibility he was tasked with burying trying to balance what he knew of the traitor and what his instincts told him.

Howl hadn't shared his distaste fully with Damek as his thoughts were interrupted by the recently deceased walking freely so unfazed nor taxed by her sacrifice only inspiring longing jealousy for Valessa. Maybe the Triumvirate could recreate the bodies long lost to time for the Monarchy to use once again but justice would still be required for all the pain and suffering caused.

Uncomfortable conflict plagued Howl as he truly wanted to hope the Triumvirate was here to atone but other voices within him reflected raw rage for the crimes committed against a foe the Monarchy never had the chance to surrender to. Not a sniff of mercy, abdication or negotiation. The Monarchy was punished by the Triumvirate without any warning and seizing them in an instant of time was an act of unmatched barbarity leaving deep wounds within Howl.