Chapter Fifteen

너가 웃으면 덩달아서 기뻐

"Even though you look the prettiest when you smile"

Hye-jin stared at him, her eyes wide with disbelief. Stray Kids' Lee Felix, the idol she had admired from afar, was standing in front of her, telling her he was the same person she had been texting for months. She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Her mind was spinning, trying to reconcile the two versions of Felix she knew-the bright, charismatic idol and the warm, supportive friend she had confided in for so long. As the shock settled in, another realization hit her. Even though campus was mostly deserted because of the holidays, there were still a few students and faculty around. If someone recognized him, it could cause a commotion, and she didn't want to be the reason for that. The last thing Felix needed was to be mobbed by fans or caught in a situation he couldn't control.

Without thinking, she quickly packed up her things, shoving her laptop and notebook into her bag. Her movements were quick and precise, but her mind was a whirlwind of emotions. She didn't know what had gotten into her, but she knew she had to get him out of sight, somewhere private where they could talk without any interruptions. Her hands trembled as she zipped up her bag and slung it over her shoulder. She glanced at Felix, who was watching her with a mix of curiosity and concern. Still unable to speak, she reached out, wrapping her hand around his. The warmth of his skin against hers sent a jolt through her, but she ignored it, focusing on the task at hand. Without a word, she tugged him along, leading him through the doors of a big building and into the hallway. Her heart pounded in her chest as she hurried toward the librarywing, her grip on Felix's hand tightening. She could feel the weight of his gaze on her, but she didn't dare look back. All she could think about was getting to one of the private study rooms where they could be alone.

When they reached the library, Hye-jin led him to one of the private study rooms. She closed the door behind them, and the small room fell into a tense silence. Felix could hear the faint sound of students talking and books being shuffled outside, but in here, it was just the two of them, enclosed in their own world. Hye-jin finally turned to face him, her eyes wide and filled with disbelief. She stared at him, her mind racing to process everything that had just happened. Felix-Phoenix_9-was standing right in front of her. The same person she had confided in, laughed with and shared countless hours of gaming with. But now, the lines had blurred, and she was struggling to reconcile the two versions of him. She tried to find the words, but everything felt jumbled. How could this be real? The Felix she had admired from afar, the idol with a smile that lit up stages, was the same person who had been her constant companion in the virtual world. And now, he was standing here, looking at her with a mix of hope and uncertainty.

Felix could see the questions in her eyes, the way she was searching for answers. But he could also see the way she was looking at him-not with fear or anger, but with a need to understand. And that gave him the courage to speak.

"I'm sorry for surprising you like this, Hye-jin," Felix said softly, his voice tinged with nerves. "I didn't want to keep it a secret, but I didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want to lose our connection."

Hye-jin blinked, still trying to wrap her head around everything. "You're... you're really Phoenix?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

Felix nodded, his heart pounding. "Yes, I am. I've been Phoenix_9 this whole time."

She looked at him, her emotions a whirlwind. "I don't see you any differently, Felix, but I... I need time to process this," she admitted, her voice trembling slightly. "I can't believe Phoenix is Felix. It's... it's a lot to take in."

Felix could see the uncertainty in her eyes, and it tore at him. He didn't want to make her feel pressured, but he knew this was a moment that could change everything between them. "You don't have to say anything right now," he said gently, trying to reassure her. "I know this is a lot, and I don't want you to feel rushed. I just want you to know that I care about you, Hye-jin. Our friendship, our conversations-it means the world to me."

Hye-jin felt a rush of emotions-relief, confusion, and something she didn't want to name just yet. She was embarrassed, too, thinking back to all the times she had gushed about Stray Kids, about Felix, without knowing she was talking to him. How could someone like him, who shone so brightly, ever be interested in someone like her? She bit her lip, her thoughts in turmoil. She knew she had developed feelings for Phoenix, feelings that had grown stronger with each passing day. She could even see herself in a relationship with him. But now that she knew he was Felix, the lines between reality and fantasy blurred, and she wasn't sure how to navigate it all.

Felix watched her, his heart aching for the struggle she was going through. He wanted to reach out, to hold her hand and tell her that everything would be okay, but he knew she needed space. Instead, he gave her a small, understanding smile.

"You don't have to give me any answers yet," he said softly. "I know how stressful life is, especially now. But if you decide you want to talk about this, about what it means... and if you're still interested in exploring what we have... meet me on Christmas Eve, at 6 p.m., at the fountain here on campus."

Hye-jin stared at him, her heart pounding in her chest. She couldn't believe what she was hearing, couldn't believe that this was real. But as she looked into Felix's eyes, she saw the sincerity there, the hope that she would give them a chance. She nodded, still too overwhelmed to speak. Felix's smile widened, relief washing over him. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ears.

"Take all the time you need," he said gently. "I'll be waiting for you, Hye-jina."

With that, he gave her one last, lingering look before turning to leave the study room. Hye-jin watched him go, her mind spinning with everything that had happened. She couldn't believe that the person she had grown so close to, the person she had started to fall for, was Felix. And now, she had to decide what that meant for her, for them.