Chapter 10

GAB

For the next few days at the hotel, it felt like I was navigating a maze blindfolded. The corridors, once familiar and comforting, now seemed like they were closing in on me, an endless labyrinth of echoing footsteps and the hum of the air conditioning. I expected to see Anton, to have that chance to make things right, but each day passed with no sign of her. It was as though she had vanished into thin air.

Every morning, I'd look for her as I walked through the lobby, my heart lifting with false hope at the sight of every familiar figure, only to sink again when it wasn't her. I kept asking myself if that night in the driveway had driven her away completely. Had I really been that much of a disappointment? The thought gnawed at me, even as I tried to keep my focus on my work.

Today, in a meeting with the team, I was barely able to concentrate. The minutes were a blur of dates and decisions I didn't fully register. My hand moved on autopilot, jotting down notes that seemed to float away before they could settle. I could feel the tightness in my chest, the almost unbearable weight of my emotions threatening to spill over. My eyes stung with the beginnings of tears I desperately tried to hold back.

When the meeting finally ended, I excused myself, barely making it out of the conference room before I felt the tears start to fall. I headed for the nearest quiet spot, hoping to gather myself before anyone noticed.

As I walked down the corridor, my head hung low, trying to control my breathing, I nearly ran into Roberto. He was heading in my direction, his expression a mix of confusion and concern. I wiped at my eyes quickly, trying to compose myself before he noticed.

"Gabriella?" Roberto's voice cut through my thoughts, and I looked up, forcing a weak smile. "Are you alright?"

I nodded, though my throat felt tight. "Just a bit overwhelmed, Mr. Villanueva. Nothing I can't handle."

Roberto's brow furrowed as he studied me. "I've been meaning to ask you something. Have you seen Anton recently? She's been a bit down lately and thought I should get someone to check in on her."

I felt my heart skip a beat. "No, I haven't seen her," I admitted, my voice faltering. "I've been wondering where she's been myself."

Roberto's expression grew serious. "Anton decided to transfer to a different branch. She felt she needed a change and requested the move a few days ago."

The news hit me like a cold wave, and I struggled to process it. "She... she's moved to another branch?" I repeated, trying to steady my voice.

Roberto nodded. "Yes. She felt it was best for her to focus on a new environment. I didn't want to alarm you, but I thought you should know, given your history."

I swallowed hard, trying to make sense of the sudden turn of events. "I understand. Thank you for letting me know."

Roberto gave me a reassuring nod before he turned to leave. As I watched him go, a mixture of relief and sadness washed over me. At least now I knew why I hadn't seen Anton. But knowing didn't make it any easier.

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my composure. I had to find a way to deal with this new reality, with Anton now miles away and my heart still tangled in the threads of what once was.

────୨ৎ────

The weight of the past few days was beginning to feel unbearable. My frustration with myself was mounting, making it hard to focus on anything but the sharp sting of regret and confusion. Each day without seeing Anton seemed like a fresh wound, a reminder of the things I wished I could undo.

After a particularly taxing day at the hotel, I found myself slumped in the plush chair of my penthouse living room, staring blankly at the television, which was on but not registering in my mind. I needed to talk to someone, to vent the swirling storm of emotions that had been consuming me. The one person I felt I could always turn to was Delilah.

I picked up my phone and dialled her number, feeling a bit of relief when she answered on the first ring.

"Hey, Gab! What's up?" Delilah's cheerful voice was a comforting balm.

"Hey, Delilah," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. "I was wondering if you're free. I really need to talk."

"Of course," she said without hesitation. "Come over whenever you're ready."

I quickly changed into something comfortable, feeling the pull of exhaustion as I moved. After a short drive, I arrived at Delilah's apartment. Her place was always a haven of warmth and familiarity. As soon as I walked in, she greeted me with a hug, her presence immediately easing some of my tension.

We settled into the cozy living room, and Delilah made us both tea. I sat down on the couch, feeling the familiar softness beneath me, but my thoughts were still roiling. Delilah joined me, her face filled with concern.

"So, what's going on?" she asked gently, handing me a steaming cup of tea.

I took a sip, letting the warmth seep into me as I tried to find the right words. "It's just... everything that's happened lately. I've been feeling like I'm stuck in this endless loop of regret and confusion. I thought I could handle it, but I can't seem to shake the feeling that I messed everything up."

Delilah's eyes softened with understanding. "I can tell you've been carrying a lot. Is this about Anton?"

I nodded, feeling the lump in my throat grow. "Yes. She's transferred to a different branch, and I haven't seen her in days. It's like she just disappeared. I've been so caught up in my own head, trying to figure out where I went wrong and what I should've done differently."

Delilah listened intently, her gaze steady and supportive. "It's tough, Gab. You've been through a lot. It's natural to feel overwhelmed. But sometimes, we can be our own harshest critics."

"I just don't understand," I admitted, my voice cracking slightly. "I thought I had everything figured out, but now it feels like I'm just stumbling in the dark. I promised myself I wouldn't let my feelings for Anton resurface, but here I am, struggling with them all over again."

Delilah reached out and squeezed my hand. "It's okay to have these feelings, Gab. You're human. And sometimes, even when we try to move on, the past has a way of catching up with us. What's important is how you handle it now. You need to be honest with yourself about what you want and what you're willing to do to find closure or resolution."

I sighed deeply, trying to absorb her words. "I know. It's just hard to let go, especially when I still care so much. I feel like I'm just making everything worse by not being able to move on."

"You're not making things worse," Delilah said firmly. "You're just figuring things out. It's a process. And it's okay to seek help if you need it—whether it's talking things through with someone or finding ways to cope with your feelings."

Her words were like a soothing balm to my wounded heart. I felt a little lighter, knowing that I wasn't alone in this struggle. "Thanks, Delilah. I needed to hear that."

We spent the rest of the evening talking and laughing, and while I still had a lot to work through, I felt a renewed sense of clarity. I knew that I couldn't just ignore my feelings or pretend that everything was fine. It was time to face them head-on, and with Delilah's support, I felt a little more prepared to take on whatever came next.