Chapter Seven

January 14th 2003

The tension in the air was palpable as Eli Harper—Tideflame—stood on the deck of the research vessel, Oceanus. The sea was unusually calm, its dark surface stretching out endlessly in every direction, a deceptive veil over the dangers that lurked beneath. The horizon was barely distinguishable from the overcast sky, a heavy blanket of gray that pressed down on everything below.

Eli adjusted the mask over his face, feeling the familiar pulse of energy that surged through him whenever he donned the suit. The blue and green of his supersuit shimmered faintly, reflecting the muted light of the overcast day. It was the fourth mission since he had become Tideflame, and though each one had tested him in ways he never imagined, this one felt different—ominous, like a storm gathering strength.

A voice crackled over the radio in his earpiece, jolting him from his thoughts. "Tideflame, are you ready? We're approaching the coordinates."

It was Dr. Ingrid Sorensen, a marine biologist and the lead scientist on this expedition. Eli had worked with her before, though she had no idea who he really was. To her, he was just the enigmatic hero who had appeared seemingly out of nowhere to help protect the oceans.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Eli replied, his voice steady despite the unease gnawing at him.

"Good," Dr. Sorensen continued. "We've detected unusual seismic activity on the ocean floor in this area. It's like nothing we've seen before. We need you to investigate and ensure it's not related to something... dangerous."

Eli nodded, even though she couldn't see him. He had a feeling this was more than just unusual seismic activity. The ocean had been restless lately—more so than usual—and there had been reports of strange, unexplained phenomena all along the Pacific Rim. If his experience had taught him anything, it was that when the ocean stirred, something was always brewing beneath the surface.

The Oceanus slowed to a stop as it reached the designated coordinates, the crew bustling around to secure the ship's position. Eli walked to the edge of the deck and looked down at the water, his reflection barely visible against the dark, almost black depths.

He took a deep breath, focusing on the familiar warmth of the flames that coursed through his veins, balanced by the cool, calming energy of the ocean. Fire and water, two forces that should have been opposites, but within him, they coexisted—complementing each other in ways he was still discovering.

"Going in," he said, before taking a leap off the deck and diving into the water.

The cold shock of the ocean enveloped him, but the momentary discomfort was quickly replaced by a surge of power as he activated his abilities. He felt his body adjust, adapting to the pressures of the deep, and within moments, he was cutting through the water with ease, his movements as natural as if he were born to it.

The deeper he went, the darker it became. The sunlight above faded until there was only blackness surrounding him, but his vision adjusted, allowing him to see in the murky depths. The sea creatures sensed him, recognizing the power that radiated from him, and they kept their distance, respecting the balance of the ocean.

Eli reached the ocean floor, the sand and silt shifting slightly as he landed. He looked around, trying to find the source of the disturbances. The landscape was eerily quiet, devoid of the usual signs of life that he had come to expect in these deep, hidden realms.

He began to explore, moving carefully over the rugged terrain. Strange fissures had opened in the ocean floor, releasing streams of bubbles that carried an odd, metallic scent. As he approached one of the larger fissures, he felt the temperature of the water drop sharply—a clear sign that something was very wrong.