Chapter Six

November 23rd 2002

Eli Harper stood in the doorway of his apartment, his heart pounding in his chest. The evening sun cast a warm glow over the living room, but Eli felt nothing but the cold grip of fear tightening around his gut. Today was the day—he couldn't keep this secret from Sofia any longer.

Three missions had come and gone, each one more perilous than the last. The scars on his body and the weight in his heart were starting to become too heavy to bear alone. He had faced down monsters, battled against forces beyond comprehension, and yet, the thought of this conversation with Sofia scared him more than any of that.

Sofia was in the kitchen, humming softly to herself as she prepared dinner. The sight of her brought a brief, bittersweet smile to his face. She was his anchor, the one who kept him grounded even when the world around him seemed to be falling apart. But what would she think when she knew the truth? When she knew that the man she loved was leading a double life, fighting battles in the shadows?

"Hey," Sofia said, glancing up as Eli walked into the kitchen. "You're home early. How was work?"

Eli managed a weak smile. "It was... busy. But I needed to talk to you about something."

The tone of his voice made Sofia pause, her brow furrowing in concern. She turned off the stove and wiped her hands on a towel, her full attention now on him. "Eli, what's wrong? You look like you've seen a ghost."

"In a way, I have," he said, his voice low and strained. He took a deep breath, trying to steady himself. "Sofia, there's something I've been hiding from you, something I should have told you a long time ago."

Sofia's eyes widened with worry. "What is it? You're scaring me."

Eli looked down at his hands, hands that had held so many secrets for so long. He had to do this. Sofia deserved the truth, and he couldn't keep lying to her. He walked over to the living room and sat down on the couch, motioning for Sofia to join him. She did, sitting close, her hand reaching out to touch his arm.

"I've been living a double life," Eli began, his voice barely above a whisper. "For the past few months, I've been doing something... dangerous. And I haven't told you because I wanted to protect you, but it's not fair to keep you in the dark anymore."

Sofia's hand tightened on his arm. "Eli, what are you talking about?"

He looked into her eyes, seeing the worry and confusion there. "I'm not just a marine biologist. I'm also Tideflame."

The room fell into a heavy silence, the words hanging in the air like a storm cloud. Sofia blinked, her expression shifting from confusion to shock, and then to disbelief.

"Tideflame?" she repeated, as if the name didn't quite register. "Eli, that's... that's not possible. You're not serious."

"I am," Eli said, his voice steady despite the turmoil inside. "It's true. I'm the one who's been going on those missions—the one who fought that sea monster in the Mariana Trench, the one who stopped the creature under the Arctic ice. It's me."

Sofia stared at him, her eyes searching his face for any sign that this was a joke, but there was none. She could see the seriousness in his eyes, the weight of the truth he was finally sharing. She pulled her hand back, her mind reeling as she tried to process what she was hearing.

"How... how is that even possible?" she whispered. "Eli, you're a marine biologist, not... not a superhero."

"It happened by accident," Eli explained, his voice filled with the weariness of someone who had carried a heavy burden for far too long. "I was on a research expedition in the South Pacific, studying a volcanic vent deep in the ocean. We found something—an ancient crystal. When I touched it, something inside me changed. I was given these powers, these abilities that I don't fully understand, but I know they were meant for something greater."

Sofia shook her head, trying to wrap her mind around the impossible. "So, all those times you came home late, all those unexplained absences... you were out there, fighting... what? Monsters? Saving the world?"

Eli nodded slowly. "Yes. And I'm sorry, Sofia. I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner, but I was scared. I was scared of how you'd react, of what it would mean for us. But after these last few missions... I can't keep it from you anymore. You deserve to know the truth."

Sofia stood up and walked a few paces away, her mind racing. She was overwhelmed—everything she thought she knew about Eli, about their life together, was suddenly thrown into question. She loved him, but this was... this was beyond anything she could have imagined.

"I don't know what to say," she finally admitted, her voice trembling. "I mean, how am I supposed to react to something like this? You've been living this... this secret life, putting yourself in danger, and I had no idea."

"I know," Eli said, standing up to face her. "And that's why I had to tell you. Because I love you, Sofia. I love you more than anything, and I couldn't stand the thought of losing you because of this. But I also couldn't keep lying to you. I need you to understand, even if it's hard."

Sofia turned to face him, tears brimming in her eyes. "Eli... this is so much. I love you too, but... I need time. I need to think about all of this. I'm scared, and I don't know if I can handle knowing that every time you leave, you might not come back."

Eli stepped closer, his heart aching at the pain in her eyes. "I know it's a lot, and I don't expect you to accept it right away. But I'm here, Sofia. I'm not going anywhere, and I'll do whatever it takes to make this work, to help you understand."

Sofia wiped her eyes, her breath shaky as she looked at him. "I just... I don't want to lose you, Eli. But I don't want to live in constant fear, either. How do we even begin to deal with this?"

Eli reached out and took her hands in his, holding them tightly. "We take it one day at a time. I'll be honest with you from now on. No more secrets, no more lies. If you'll have me, I'll do everything I can to make sure you're safe, that we're both safe. But I won't blame you if you need space, if you need time to figure this out."

Sofia looked into his eyes, seeing the sincerity there. She knew this was a turning point, a moment that would define their relationship from here on out. It was terrifying, but at the same time, she knew Eli was still the man she loved—the man who had always been there for her, who had supported her, who had loved her with all his heart.

After a long moment, she nodded, squeezing his hands. "We'll figure it out. But I need you to promise me something, Eli."

"Anything," he said, his voice soft.

"Promise me that you'll be careful. That you won't take unnecessary risks. I don't want to lose you, and I don't want our future together to be cut short because of this... this other life."

Eli nodded, his heart swelling with a mixture of relief and love. "I promise, Sofia. I'll be careful. And I'll always come back to you."

She gave him a small, tentative smile, the first since he had started this conversation. "Okay. Then we'll take it one day at a time, like you said."

Eli pulled her into his arms, holding her close as the weight of the moment settled over them both. It wasn't going to be easy, and there would be challenges ahead, but for now, they had each other. And that was enough.

As they stood there, holding each other in the quiet of their apartment, Eli knew that this was only the beginning. There would be more missions, more dangers to face, but he wouldn't have to face them alone anymore. He had Sofia by his side, and together, they would navigate the storms ahead—no matter how fierce the tide, no matter how scorching the flame.