❛ 38 ❜

𝓟𝓪𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝓨𝓸𝓾

Chapter Thirty Eight

5 months later

"You're wearing it the wrong way—come here," you called out to Genya, who was fumbling with his uniform, wearing it upside down. Gently, you helped him adjust it until it was properly in place, smoothing out the wrinkles and making sure he looked presentable.

As you worked, your eyes lingered on the fresh bruise on his lip and the black eye darkening his face. A wave of concern washed over you. When Genya had stopped by the house the previous evening, he’d already been sporting those injuries, a visible reminder of yet another altercation. You’d heard Sanemi’s angry stomping that same day, only to find Genya sitting by the porch, cradling his swollen lip, shivering with a mix of fear and tears he was trying hard to hold back.

"Does it hurt?" you asked softly, reaching out to touch the bruise with gentle fingers. He quickly shook his head, putting on a brave smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes.

"I’m fine, really,"  he insisted, though you knew better. You’d already used a cold compress on the area, but the swelling was still pronounced.

Though you're pleased to have a visitor, your husband is not. Sanemi was silent the whole night when Genya is around.
You can sense that Genya is afraid of him but thanks to you, your husband cannot harm his little brother.

Only you and his little brother is making conversations trying to catch up with each other. He was amazed to see your growing belly and even asked if it was heavy, You laugh it off saying it wasn't.

Genya’s eyes softened as he looked at you. "I’ll get going now, Y/n-chan."  He straightened his posture, trying to appear confident despite the bruises marring his face.

"Take care," you replied with a warm nod, watching him head for the gate. You stood there for a moment, your heart heavy with worry. Just as Genya reached the gate, you felt Sanemi brush past you, bumping your shoulder as he moved to follow his brother. Instinctively, your hand shot out, grabbing the hem of Sanemi’s clothes before he could take another step.

"Just let him go, Nemi," you pleaded softly, holding him back.

Sanemi clenched his jaw, his muscles tensing under your grip. "No. That dumb kid still hasn’t learned his lesson. He’ll end up dead if he keeps trying to fight demons without mastering proper breathing techniques," he retorted, his tone deceptively calm but laced with frustration.

"That dumb kid you're talking about ran with all his might just to reach the butterfly mansion and saved you just in time, Nemi."  You reminded him how he saved him just by transfusing his blood to his dying brother. He didn't even say a small thanks to him that day. But even with those words, it didn't faze him.

" I did not tell him to do so, What I'm saying is that he's weak and hell dies with just using a damned gun fighting with demons."

You took a deep breath, meeting his stubborn gaze. "He’ll also end up hurt—or worse—from these constant beatings."