Chapter 4 : The rules

Author's POV:

It was 9 p.m., and Siya still hadn't returned from the hospital. Akshath was growing increasingly worried about her safety, pacing the living room as his concern deepened. He reached for his phone, intending to call her, only to realize with frustration that he didn't have her number.  

  An hour later, Siya finally arrived home. She knocked on the front door, waiting for Akshath to let her in. When he opened it, his expression was one of anger, his eyes blazing with concern and irritation. Siya, unfazed, politely asked, "Would you please move aside so I can enter?" Akshath stepped back, giving her space, but his agitation was palpable. He gestured for her to sit on the couch beside him. Siya quietly obliged, sensing the tension in the air.---

Akshath's POV:

It's 10 p.m., and this girl is just now getting home. Doesn't she care about her safety? Sure, she's a doctor, but that doesn't mean she's invincible. I stared at her, trying to keep my cool, but the thought of something happening to her gnawed at me. I knew I needed to set some ground rules—rules she would have to follow without exception. In a firm, authoritative tone, I said, "If you want to live in this house, you're going to have to follow my rules. If not, I'll report you to the landlord. Understood?" As expected, she nodded, though I could see the reluctance in her eyes. "The rules are simple:1. Be home by 8:30 p.m.2. No going out after 9 p.m. if you're alone.3. No boys allowed, except me and my friends.4. Stay out of my room."---

Siya's POV:

What the hell? Who does he think he is, my dad? I'm not going to let him dictate my life like this. I've been on my own for a while now, and I'm not about to let some guy order me around. After he finished listing his ridiculous rules, I calmly responded, "The first two rules and the last one are fine, but the third? Why only you and your friends? What about mine?" I tried to sound assertive, even though I don't have any friends, but it's the principle of the thing.   

    He shot back angrily, "So, you're going to argue, huh? What are you, some spoiled daddy's princess who thinks she can do whatever she wants? Maybe your parents coddled you too much, letting you think the world revolves around you."    His words stung, hitting a nerve I didn't even know was exposed. My anger surged, and I had a sudden urge to slap him, to wipe that smug look off his face. But instead, I felt the sting of tears welling up. His words about being loved and spoiled by my parents cut deeper than I expected.

     Without another word, I turned and walked to my room, feeling as if I had just been slapped and humiliated, my heart heavy with unspoken pain.

Akshath's POV:

As I laid out the rules, I could see Siya's resistance building. Her calm demeanor as she questioned the third rule only fueled my frustration. I snapped back at her, letting my irritation get the better of me, assuming she was just another spoiled girl who didn't understand the realities of the world.

    But then, something unexpected happened. As soon as the words left my mouth, I saw a flicker of something in her eyes—something that caught me off guard. It wasn't just defiance; it was deeper, more painful. Before I knew it, her anger melted into tears. She didn't shout back or argue; she just silently retreated, her eyes glistening with unshed tears as she walked away.For a moment, I was frozen, watching her go. I've dealt with all kinds of people, but this... this was different. I felt a strange twist in my chest like I'd just kicked a puppy or something. Guilt? No, that couldn't be it. 

    I was just trying to keep things in order, to protect her even if she didn't see it that way. But watching her walk away, clearly hurt by my words, it felt like I'd crossed a line I didn't even know was there.    I ran a hand through my hair, trying to shake off the feeling. Why did seeing her cry affect me like this? I wasn't supposed to care. She's just a stranger, someone I'm sharing a flat with, nothing more. 

    But as I stood there, replaying the scene in my head, I couldn't ignore the nagging sense that I'd misjudged her. Maybe there's more to her story than I realized.     With a heavy sigh, I sat back down on the couch, my mind churning with conflicting thoughts. I wasn't sure what it was, but something about seeing her cry—it made me want to understand her, to know what was behind those tears. Maybe I was too harsh. Maybe I should've handled it differently. But it's too late now. She's probably in her room, hating me.   

     I told myself I was just looking out for her, but as I sat there in the silence of the living room, I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd missed something important. Something in her tears told me there was more to Siya than the tough, polite exterior she'd shown so far. And for some reason, I couldn't just let it go.