Chapter 5 : The Confrontation

Siya's POV:

The next morning, I woke up feeling heavy and drained, like I hadn't slept at all. My eyes were still puffy from crying, but I couldn't afford to dwell on it. I had patients to see, and rounds to make. I needed to push through, put on a brave face, and pretend everything was fine, even though it was far from it. 

    As I got ready for the day, the weight of loneliness settled in, pressing down on my chest. I felt so alone in this city, in this apartment, and life. The memory of Akshath's harsh words from last night replayed in my mind, and the sting of them brought back the tears I'd tried so hard to suppress. But I wouldn't let them fall again. I had to be strong. I had to keep it together. No one would care about how I felt, so why bother showing it? 

      I glanced at the mirror, forcing myself to smile, though it felt unnatural, almost painful. "You've got this, Siya," I whispered to myself, hoping the words would somehow make it true. But deep down, I felt like I was crumbling, like the walls I'd built around myself were starting to crack. I just needed to make it through the day. One day at a time, I told myself. That's all I could handle.

    As I walked into the kitchen to grab a quick breakfast, I was startled to find Akshath already there, leaning against the counter with a cup of coffee in his hand. For a moment, I considered turning around and heading straight out the door, but before I could move, he looked up and caught my eye.---

Akshath's POV:

I'd spent most of the night tossing and turning, replaying the events of the evening over and over in my mind. The image of Siya's tear-filled eyes haunted me, filling me with a guilt I couldn't shake. I knew I'd crossed a line, and I wanted—no, needed—to make things right.

     So when I heard her footsteps coming down the hall, I made sure to be in the kitchen, hoping to catch her before she left for the day. I had rehearsed what I was going to say a hundred times, but the second she walked in, looking tired and withdrawn, all the words I'd planned seemed to evaporate.

    She paused when she saw me, her expression guarded, like she was ready for another confrontation. But I wasn't here to fight. I was here to apologize."Siya," I began, my voice softer than usual, "I'm sorry about last night. I... I didn't mean to be so harsh. I was worried about you, that's all."

    She looked at me, clearly skeptical, as if she didn't quite believe what she was hearing. And I couldn't blame her. After the way I'd spoken to her, why should she trust me?"I know it might not have come across the right way," I continued, "but when you didn't come home until late, I got scared. This city isn't always safe, especially at night. I just didn't want anything to happen to you." I sighed, running a hand through my hair. "I shouldn't have tried to control you, though. That wasn't fair."

    For a moment, she said nothing, just stood there staring at me like she was trying to figure out if I was being sincere. The silence stretched on, making me nervous. Did I say too much? Not enough? ---

Siya's POV:

I wasn't expecting an apology from Akshath. I thought he'd just pretend last night never happened. But there he was, standing in front of me, looking genuinely sorry. His words caught me off guard. He was worried about me? That was the last thing I expected.    Part of me wanted to stay angry, to keep that wall up and not let him in. But another part of me, the part that was so tired of being alone, wanted to believe him. Maybe he did care, even if he had a terrible way of showing it.

    "I... I appreciate your concern," I finally said, my voice barely above a whisper. "But you have to understand, I'm used to taking care of myself. I've had to." I paused, trying to keep my emotions in check. "I didn't mean to worry you. I just... I had a long day at the hospital."Akshath nodded, his expression softening. "I get that. And I'm not here to tell you how to live your life. I just want you to be safe. That's all."

     I nodded in return, feeling a small, unexpected warmth in his words. Maybe he wasn't the overbearing jerk I'd thought he was. Maybe, just maybe, he was someone I could actually get along with.

    "Thank you," I said, finally managing a small, tentative smile. "I'll try to be more careful."He smiled back, and for the first time since I moved in, I felt like maybe we weren't just two strangers sharing a space. Maybe there was a chance we could actually look out for each other, in our own awkward way.

    As I grabbed my things and headed out the door, I felt a little lighter, like some of the weight I'd been carrying had lifted, just a bit. It wasn't much, but it was a start. And for now, that was enough.