Chapter 9 : My Abusive Ex

Siya's POV:The evening had been peaceful until that knock on the door shattered everything. Akshath and his friends were in the living room, their laughter and chatter filling the apartment with a warmth that made me feel safe. I was in my room, finishing up some paperwork from the hospital, feeling content for the first time in a long while.

     But that contentment vanished the moment I opened the door.

     Standing in the doorway was Arav Bhatt, his eyes blazing with anger. Before I could even register his presence, his hand lashed out, striking me across the face with such force that I staggered backward. The sting of the slap was sharp, but the pain was nothing compared to the terror that seized me when I felt a warm trickle of blood running from my nose.

     I raised a trembling hand to my face, touching the spot where his hand had connected. Blood smeared across my fingers, and my heart began to race, pounding in my chest like a drum. The shock of the slap, combined with the sight of my own blood, sent me spiraling into panic. My body started to shake uncontrollably, my breath coming in short, ragged gasps as the familiar, suffocating grip of anxiety closed around me.

     Arav stepped into the apartment, his face twisted with rage. "You think you can run from me, Siya?" he snarled. "You think you can just leave without any consequences?"I wanted to speak, to defend myself, but the words were trapped in my throat, choked by fear. My vision blurred as the anxiety took hold, the room spinning around me as I struggled to stay upright.

      But then, through the haze, I heard Akshath's voice—sharp, commanding, and full of anger. "What the hell do you think you're doing?"

     Arav barely acknowledged him, his focus entirely on me. "Stay out of this," he spat, but Akshath was already moving, stepping between us, his presence a barrier between me and the man who had caused me so much pain. 

    "You don't get to come here and do this," Akshath said, his voice steady despite the fury in his eyes. "Get out. Now."

    Rhea was at my side in an instant, wrapping her arms around me as she gently pulled me back from the confrontation. I could feel her hand shaking slightly, but her grip on me was firm, protective. I leaned into her, trying to steady my breathing, but the anxiety was overwhelming, my body trembling uncontrollably.

     Vikram and Karan stood up, their expressions hardening as they took in the scene. "You need to leave," Vikram said, his voice low and threatening.

    "You can't protect her," Arav sneered, his eyes locking onto mine with a look of pure hatred. "She belongs to me. She'll always belong to me."

    "She's not yours," Akshath shot back, taking a step closer to Arav, his fists clenched. "And if you don't leave right now, I'll call the police."

    Arav's eyes flicked between Akshath, Rhea, and the others, his jaw tightening as he realized he was outnumbered. For a moment, he looked uncertain, like he hadn't expected this kind of resistance. But then, his face twisted into a bitter smile.

   "This isn't over," he said coldly, his gaze lingering on me one last time before he turned and stormed out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

    The moment he was gone, the tension in the room seemed to release all at once, the oppressive atmosphere lifting slightly. But I was still frozen in place, the terror and shock of what had just happened keeping me rooted to the spot. The blood from my nose was still dripping, a constant reminder of his violence.

     Rhea turned me gently to face her, her eyes wide with concern. "Siya, look at me. Are you okay? You're bleeding."

    I nodded weakly, even though I felt far from okay. The anxiety was still clawing at me, my chest tight and my breathing shallow. "I... I didn't think he'd find me," I whispered, my voice trembling. "I thought I was safe."