Chapter 21

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 21

They left before they could find out if Veronica was going to make it through surgery. It was better this way. Better to disappear before someone decided they wanted to put Sam behind bars for a crime she didn't commit.

The two rushed through Knox's home packing up as much as they could, knowing that they would have to have a moving company handle the rest. Hauling several bags and boxes to the car, they headed out. Driving this time across the country for the west coast.

It was going to be a long journey.

Sam remained quiet, watching the street lights pass, as the darkness surrounded them. The traffic thinned as time ticked away into the early hours of morning. Finally after putting several hundred miles behind them, Knox pulled off and found a hotel for the rest of the night.

"We can rest here for the night," Knox told her as he gently woke Sam up.

"Happy honeymoon," Sam muttered as she got out of the car and stretched.

This wasn't what she expected as she helped haul their things into the room Knox had gotten them. It wasn't a seedy place. It was decent, clean, and well maintained. She just thought they would spend their first night together at his place not driving for hours across the country.

"I know we planned on our first night together at my place. I'm sorry but we'll find a place in California. We'll make a home for us there." He seemed optimistic about this new start. More so than she was.

"You know I have an apartment there already," Sam told him. And one in New York, London, Milan, Italy and Paris. She'll have to give up most of them and decide what to do with her things.

"We can't go there. They are still looking for Samantha Midnight. The boss is giving you a fresh start by saying you are only Sam Atlas McKenzie. You can't have anything to do with that life again Sam."

Plopping down on the bed, she felt the loss of her own life hit. "What about my things? I do have things that I want!"

"We'll figure out a way to get them. We can make a list and see if Sterner can get them for you," Knox tried to ease the blow. Sitting next to her, he took her hand, "I know this is hard for you. But you will have your aunts close by and me. You aren't alone anymore, Sam. We can do this together."

Looking at their linked hands, Sam felt the click of a locked safe, the bearings falling into place and opening a door inside her that has been locked for so long. It was scary to let that door open, to trust that opening it won't cause her more trouble, more pain than she's already experienced.

Reaching up, Knox tucked her hair behind her ear. "I won't push you. If you aren't ready for this, I can wait for you."

And just like that, Sam knew he wouldn't hurt her. How many opportunities has he had over the years and he didn't even arrest her. He just kept tracking her until he got her. Now he had her, and he had the ability to send her jail and instead, he married her. Made her his wife, instead of a prisoner.

"No, I want this," Sam whispered, crawling over him to straddle his lap. "I've thought about this. About you, like this."

"Me too," Knox admitted in a growl as Sam pulled his shirt over his head.

Those rough hands, softened on her as they slid under her shirt to find bare skin. Her fingers explored over tight, firm muscles and stroked over scars on his shoulder, a bullet wound, she recognized it. Another scar, a cut, a knife maybe, along his ribs, and a tattoo over his heart.

"Amate" was written over a diamond. Not just any diamond but the first one she stole. She'd recognize it anywhere.

"Beloved," she whispered, "you knew then?"

"I knew the moment I saw you," Knox whispered, cupping her face and holding her a breath away from his lips. "I love you, Sam."

"Oh," she whispered as his lips met hers. It was a shock to actually know the truth. To feel the truth from him in his touch. The tenderness in his touch, the restraint he showed her to give her the time and care he wanted to give her.

It was impressive, and not necessary. She wanted the heat and flash of electricity. She wanted to watch him lose control because of her, because he is always in such control of his emotions. That's what she wanted to do.

And she was determined to get what she wanted. Pushing on Knox's shoulders, she took him over, reaching between their bodies and ridding him of his belt and loosening his pants. Her hand slid down, down between them and wrapped around him, thick, hot, throbbing for her and she stroked up and down. Kissing his neck and cracking that shield he holds keeping that control intact.

"Sam," the moan of her name came out on a rough breath against her breasts and she smiled. He wasn't going to stay in control for long.

Nipping at his ear, she slid those hot kisses down his throat and over his shoulder, "try to keep up," she teased, pushing her own pants down her legs before sinking down to take him in.

She held him inside, deep, holding him as his eyes opened to meet hers. "Stop holding back, Knox. Let go."

She moved, urging him to take that leap and jump off the cusp with her. No control, no holds barred him, just the two of them lost in their own paradise for a brief time.

With every breath, every stroke of her body on his the crack in his armor broke a little more. He felt the crack, he heard the cracking sound in his ears and when she finally broke him the walls he built around him shattered and any control he thought he had around her was gone.

She took him over. He was lost pumping into her, holding on for dear life as she rode that wave high, higher feeling her release coming she held onto it, held until she couldn't breathe and wrapped herself around him rolled over the bed and let go.

Her body trembled under his as he felt her lose control, her release done, her body going lax, Knox gripped her hips and took her up again. Brought her with him to the edge and together they fell, shaking and out of breath he collapsed onto her chest, intoxicated by the way she made him feel.

"You lost control," Sam smiled, running her fingers through his hair.

"I don't think I ever had control with you, Sam. You have always had control over me," the admission was powerful and one she didn't expect.

Lifting his face to hers, Sam made sure he knew that he had the same effect on her. "I'm glad it was you who was assigned to my case. I love you too."

His sleepy smile made her laugh. It was a moment Sam wouldn't forget. When his phone rang, it broke the moment. Whatever magic that had blocked out the world had broken and was let back in. Knox grabbed his pants and pulled out his phone to look at the display.

"Director? Is everything okay?" He answered the call immediately.

"Knox, it's Veronica. She didn't make it." The news was a kick in the gut. A kick they might never recover from.

Please remember to vote comment and share