Point Of View

I remembered that day clearly. It was the first time in a long while that the celestial organization had come into the public eye again. Not that it was a secret society to begin with, but simply one that did not garner much attention and operated discreetly. Of course, governments were aware of its existence, as we were the true superpower of the world, with the most assets and the strongest military might. A select few key officials knew the true nature of the celestial organization.

I was still a rookie then, in my first year as an angel officially posted on Earth. I was already one of the most powerful angels and highly skilled in combat, but I lacked real-world experience. I did not know how to maintain the delicate balance of believability. Four other angels and I were dispatched to the scene when the Korean government reached out to the celestial organization for assistance. The group was led by two individuals: the leader and the second-in-command. Every mission required two personnel in leadership roles, and both had to be in agreement before any action could be taken. The other two angels were stationed on Earth to observe humanity and learn about their ways. Their work allowed the rest of us to blend in more easily, as we could refer to their findings on human behavior. They acted as diplomats, handling most of the communication and interaction with military and law enforcement officials. Having studied humans for centuries, they were virtually indistinguishable from regular humans. As for me, I was the spearhead. My role was to execute the plan once the leaders had devised one. I was essentially the "execute" button in a computer program. I found the political maneuvering and the endless constraints imposed by humans tedious. After spending about 10 minutes in the tent that the police had set up as a makeshift operations center, I grew restless and decided to wait outside. News outlets and journalists flocked to the scene, camping nearby in hopes of catching any breaking news. Passersby, family, and friends of the hostages were also waiting nearby. It took another 15 hours-most of which I spent outside-since we were called until the four other agents and the government officials came to an agreement on a plan. That was more than enough time for the news outlets to report on our involvement, and for the public to criticize and ridicule us. They mostly called out the fact that we had swords strapped to us and thought we were a joke. I, however, got the worst of it. They said that I couldn't be bothered to even be inside to plan the mission, which was true. However, it wasn't my role to be part of the planning process either. I also had ordered a caramel milkshake instead of coffee when food and drinks were provided for us. I was called a child for that. And they asked how someone who played with a cat for an hour straight could carry out a high-intensity urban operation. I would have played with the cat longer, but my brother came out and told me the plan. We finally had the green light.

The actual operation was a breeze. In fact, I was told to slow down. I alone could have taken all of them out within a second; sending five of us in was overkill. So, I took my time doing my job. I got twenty of them. None of them saw it coming, and none of them would have even realized the fact that they were dying. My brother split the remaining ten amongst themselves. I often wonder how it would have gone if I were in charge. We turned off the lights the moment we entered so that the hostages wouldn't be able to see anything that could potentially scar them. We also cleaned up before turning the lights back on. If it were the old me running the show, there would have been no plan. I would have burst in alone and simply run the guys down. Having grown since then, I realize why I wasn't put in charge. I would have probably scarred the hostages more than the robbers had. After freeing the victims, we simply flew out. To the humans, it was as if we had vanished into thin air.

All of this ran through my head in the time it took Hyein to blink. We were all still pretty preoccupied, trying to restart our brains after learning Ningning had a picture of me as her wallpaper. I looked away from the screen at her. She was peeking over Karina's shoulder to watch me, probably to see how I would react. When our eyes met, her cheeks flushed a deep red, and she dropped her eyes. I realized that she wasn't scared of me earlier, but in an impossible turn of events, she was nervous to meet me. An intense feeling of both pleasure and gratitude bloomed from deep within me. A singer that I was a fan of knew about me and was fond of me. I stepped closer to Karina, then to her side, so that I could see Ningning. She watched me with embarrassed and wary eyes. I smiled the warmest smile I could conjure up, which wasn't hard to do, and offered her my hand. "Hi, I'm Y/N. Nice to meet you." I could feel everyone's eyes on us, waiting to see how this would play out. Ningning slowly took a step away from Karina and gingerly took my hand. I shook her hand once and let go. "Well, I think it's time for your shoot. It would be best if we headed inside, don't you think?" I asked the unusually large group of idols. They seemed to agree and slowly started shuffling towards the barn doors, conversations about what had just happened scattered amongst the group. I saw Karina playfully punch Ningning on the shoulder and congratulate her, which made Ningning blush all over again.