Chapter 2

The morning after the dholki Anisha woke up to a knock on the door. “Hey, it’s me,” Kai said as she walked into the room and sat on the bed.”Oh my god, I'm so tired!” she yawned and splayed herself next to Anisha on the bed. 

“So you’ve come to wake me up instead?”

“Well, it's so boring being home alone”

“That’s so true” Anisha said back yawning. 

Anisha and Kai’s younger brothers went to a boarding school together and Anisha’s older siblings were busy with their own lives so usually on days like this, they would stay at each other's houses. 

“Hurry up and get ready so that we can watch a movie. I'm going downstairs to make some popcorn and get snacks ready,” Kai sighed. 

“Fine,” she grunted back.

Anisha went into the bathroom and brushed her teeth and hair then went downstairs. She decided to stay in her pyjamas consisting of an oversized graphic t-shirt and some joggers, as they were only watching a film at home.

 The buttery smell of popcorn filled her nose and followed her down the stairs. “You better have kept me some!” Anisha screamed when she saw Kai in the kitchen stuffing her face with the popcorn. 

“It’s okay, don’t worry i made you your own one” Kai rolled her eyes at her. 

“Come and help me take this into the movie room” she asked.

Anisha grabbed the tray of crisps and sweets and brought them to the movie room whilst Kai grabbed the popcorn. They sat on the black sofas with their blankets and began to watch the movie. They decided to watch fear street since that was their favourite, despite being slightly scared of it. Kai hid her face in a pillow, her eyes wide, preparing for a jumpscare. Kai did not enjoy being scared at all unlike Anisha.

 Half way through the movie there was a creek from the door. “Omg, what was that?” Kai whispered. 

“It's probably nothing,” Anisha whispered back. They both diverted their attention back onto the projection. Then all of a sudden there was a loud scream and someone jump into the movie room, “EEEKKKKKKK” Kai yelped, grabbing onto Anisha who also jumped out of her seat out of fear. Then they both heard giggling and saw Sunoo and Riki laughing on the floor with Heeseung and Jake standing behind them also laughing,

“OH MY GOD, why would you do that?” Kai shouted dashing a pillow at the two boys. “Pfft you should have your face” Riki laughed. 

“It’s not funny, '' Kai exclaimed, her face flushed with embarrassment looking at Jake.

“I mean it was pretty funny” Jake giggled, reaching out to her and she swatted his hand away. Anisha giggled at them, “You both are so childish.” she shook her head at their antics. Anisha glanced around the room, 

“Where's the other's?”

“They are with Arya helping to plan stuff for the mehndi” Heeseung explained looking into Anisha's eyes as if she was the only person in the room right now. His brown warm eyes travelled from her eyes to her nose, down to her lips then back up again to meet her eyes, analysing her. He realised that she too was staring back at him and smirked  Anisha felt a shudder crawl up her spine. She had never felt like this with him before, why now? Was it the fact that he had matured during his time in America or was it the painful longing she felt in his absence… whenever he was near it felt as though she had become consumed in a warmth she could not quite understand. Maybe she had always felt this way and just not realised? Or, maybe it was the fact that they were to be married in a few years, therefore, Forcing her to like him? Whatever It was, she did not like it. 

“I know I'm pretty handsome but, are you just going to stand and gape at me all day? Heeseung tore her away from her thoughts. 

“Oh, I'm sorry I was spaced out… I didn't mean to…” She stumbled over her words, her face turning warm from embarrassment.

“Don't worry about it, I'm all yours anyway” he said teasingly. Anisha scoffed and tried to walk past him. He  swiftly moved his body in front of her, blocking her from leaving. “Heeseung what are you doing, let me go” She had failed to realise that they were the only two left in the room. He took hold of her wrist and brought his face closer to hers, their noses not even an inch apart. “Did you really not miss me while I was away?” He questioned, she could feel his breath on her cheek as he spoke. 

“Why would I miss you?” She said in an expressionless tone, avoiding his eyes. Of course she had missed him. She missed him more than she would admit to herself. He grabbed hold of her other hand and pushed her back slightly. “Heeseung, let me go.” He began walking back slowly, not breaking eye contact. He grabbed her chin between his fingers leaving her no choice but to look at him. “Look at me in my eyes and tell me you didn't miss me” He demanded.

“And if I don't?” 

He brought his face closer to hers. “Then I'll have to give you something to miss.” 

“ANISHA WHERE ARE YOU?!?” Sunoo screamed from down the hall. She quickly shoved Heeseungs chest back and fixed herself, wiping her sweaty hands on her pyjama bottoms. He gave her an amused look.

“I'm coming, one sec!” she made her way to the kitchen leaving Heeseung behind alone…

“What took you so long, I want to make tanghulu!” Sunoo exclaimed Excitedly.

“Sunoo, you always burn the tanghulu and it tastes horrid.” Riki replied back. 

“It's okay, Kai will help me this time, she made it well last time.”  Sunoo pouted back. Kai swatted Riki on the back of his head, “Riki, stop being so rude, he's tried his best.” Kai said nagging. She was always very motherly with the younger kids in the area, perhaps out of habit as she was the eldest daughter and granddaughter in her family. The younger kids loved her too. Anisha was slightly envious, Riki fought with her as if they were siblings. However, this resulted in her having a lack of responsibility. Kai was constantly called to babysit the children in the area, Anisha did not really enjoy looking after children The way Kai did therefore, this was a relief. 

“Sunoo, we have no more strawberries left, do you want to come and grab some with me?” Kai said grabbing her keys, her mass amount of keychains jingling against each other. 

“Yes!” 

“Okay, Heeseung and Anisha come too.” She demanded 

“I want to come too, I want snacks!” Riki exclaimed clearly annoyed he wasn't asked first. 

“Fine, get in the car, whilst me and Anisha go get changed out of our pyjamas.” She rolled her eyes.

“What about me.” Jake pouted, his eyes wide, as if he were a puppy. 

“There's no more space for you in the car, stop being such a big baby!” 

“I'm kidding, I didn't want to go with you anyway.” He said turning around and walking back into the movie room. Anisha wished that she could joke around with Heeseung like that, but the tension between them was too awkward. Maybe he found someone else in America… It’s not like they were a real couple anyways, well Kai and Jake weren't a real couple in the beginning either… They just got along well and got lucky. Anisha was lucky too, at least she knew Heeseung and was friends with him, she even liked him at some point. Until everything changed last year, but she would rather not think about that. She went up to her bedroom with Kai and picked out a white t-shirt and a pair of baggy jeans. Kai also helped herself to Anisha's wardrobe. She chose to wear black leggings and a muted green t-shirt dress, the material was soft and loose.