Chapter 20

Artemis and Zack are careful to avoid people as much as possible. Anything to make it less likely for Zimmer to know that she's there, Artemis hated having to sneak around like she'd done something wrong. Zack had shown her the before and after picture of the man known as Harkness and to her surprise she recognizes him....or at least who he was before. "We trained together in the Institute and became Coursers at the same time," she explained. "His unit designation was A3-21 I'm guessing...he must have escaped shortly after I did. Used the chaos I created as a cover of sorts to get away himself." Her eyes suddenly grew bright and widened. "Maybe if we can get him to remember, maybe he knows something about J6." Zack didn't make any promises, and Artemis didn't expect him to.

Eventually they find themselves back in the marketplace near the makeshift restaurant near the back of the place. Many people were beginning to close up shop. The restaurant would stay open for only a couple of hours more. One group was getting up, having finished up eating. Other then them there was one man that sat alone. His back was turned to them so they couldn't see his face but the way he was dressed he was definitely the head of security. Before the pair can begin to second guess themselves they walk up to the man.

"Is there something I can do to help the two of you?" He askes and he's clearly a little annoyed that they're bothering him.

"We're sorry," Zack and Artemis say together. They look at each other, silently deciding who's going to do the talking and Zack decides to go ahead. Artemis is glad he's the one who does as she looks at the synth who now calls himself Harkness and too many sour memories start to crop up in her mind. "We're not really sure how to put this... You're not who you think you are."

The man grows a bit more irritated and Artemis knows he must have his fair share of troublemakers in this city. "What's that supposed to mean? Look you two. I don't have time for existential debate. And I'm not interested in whatever religion you're peddling."

"This isn't an existential debate, sir," Artemis says suddenly though her voice remains kind and patient. "You're a synth from the Commonwealth."

"Are you out of your mind?" He's angry now and Artemis understands why. If someone came to her with this news she'd be annoyed and angry too. "I've never been to the Commonwealth. I never even heard of the place before Zimmer arrived. I'm definitely NOT a robot. Do I look like a robot? And I'm certainly no man's property. Did Zimmer put you up to this? You have exactly five seconds to explain what it is you're trying to do here, or you'll be leaving Rivet City by way of the nearest porthole."

"I know it's hard to believe," Artemis said. "But I promise we're telling you the truth!"

"Truth?" He's become almost quizzical now. "If there's one thing I've learned it's this: There is no such thing as 'THE truth," just the appearance of truth. And for anyone trying to sell their version of the truth, they need evidence. You have no evidence for your ridiculous claims. So I have no more time to waste talking with you."

"The facts will speak for themselves," Zack said, giving Artemis a break. "I have pictures and an audio testimony!"

"Alright I'll humor you..." Harkness takes the pictures and listened to the audio file Artemis now knows Zack received from Dr. Pinkerton. The look on the chief officer's face went from anger, to confusion before he started speaking again. "But this is impossible. I can't be a robot! I'm a human being! I breathe, I eat. Hell, I cut myself shaving this morning. I was bleeding! Robots don't bleed!"

Artemis finds herself reaching for the mans arm. He jumps back but something makes him allow her to comfort him in this small manor. "I'm sorry about this, really. But it's true. You're not human. I'm....I'm not either." She says the final part in a hushed voice. "I'm a synth just like you. The tech in the Institute...it's extremely advanced compared to most other places."