Chapter 10: We Own You

"Okay, honey. I texted Blakely that we'd be home in about twenty minutes." Mom says.

"Okay. The directions say we'll be home in..." Dad pauses and looks down at the GPS. "22 minutes so that should be fine." Dad says.

"Awww, honey, look. Blakely just texted me a picture of her. She got a 94 on her exam from Friday!" Mom says.

Dad turns his attention to look at the picture for a few seconds. "Aw, I'm so proud of he–"

"Honey! Car!!!" Mom shouts.

CRASH!

Knock, Knock.

I open the door. There's a police car in the driveway with its lights on.

"What's going on?" I ask her.

"I'm so sorry to have to tell you this but... your parents..." She pauses. "They didn't make it."

I can't seem to snap myself out of it.

"Awww, honey, look. Blakely just texted me a picture of her. She got a 94 on her exam from Friday!" Mom says.

Dad turns his attention to look at the picture for a few seconds. "Aw, I'm so proud of he–"

"Honey! Car!!!" Mom shouts.

CRASH!

The dream just won't stop.

"Honey! Car!!!" Mom shouts.

CRASH!

It's like it's on constant repeat.

CRASH!

Until, it finally stops, eventually.

My eyes snap open. I sit up and gasp for air. I look down and I'm covered in sweat.

Not again.

I have these dreams a lot. Not every single day but at least three times a week.

I kick off the sheets and get up. I'm thirsty. I'm gonna go get a glass of water. That might help me calm down.

I walk to the door, open it and quietly walk downstairs. The first thing I see is someone digging for something in the fridge.

"Jesus!" I whisper-shout.

They immediately turn around. It's Ryder. His hands are full of sandwich making supplies.

"Goddamn it. You scared me." I say, putting a hand over my heart to feel my heartbeat.

He laughs. "Sorry. I got hungry." He says, closing the fridge behind him and then dumping all of the supplies onto the counter.

"What time is it?" I look at the clock above the microwave.

4:00am.

"Shit." I say.

"Yeah. Why are you up?" He asks.

"Nightmare." I say.

"Oh. Wanna talk about it?" He asks.

I shake my head no and walk further into the kitchen. "Where are the glasses?" I ask.

"Left cabinet."

"Thanks."

I open the cabinet on my left and pull out a glass and then turn to the fridge and press the water icon. It takes a second and then water splashes into the cup.

"Want one?" I ask him.

"No, thanks. I'm good." He says.

"Why are you up?" I ask.