The Quiet Before the Storm

Yuji and Megumi walked me to my room once we arrived at the school. When we walked past Kugisaki's room I noticed how quiet it was. Around this time, she usually played soft music during her skincare routine. I knocked, but she didn't answer.

"Is she asleep?" I asked them, and they shrugged while failing to make eye contact. I raised an eyebrow at them while we walked to my door. I opened it to find Kugisaki working on an extravagant blanket fort that spanned across my entire room. My jaw dropped in surprise as she froze midway through organizing the snacks.

She threw her arms up in the air, "Congratulations on telling your parents they suck! We're having a slumber party to celebrate!"

I laughed as I inspected the fort, "You made this? Is that why you didn't come?" I walked closer and pulled her into a hug, "Thank you."

She patted my back before pulling away, "Yes and yes. It took me a while, but I found some ideas on Pinterest. You like it?"

"I love it," I smiled at her, "Satoru used to make them all the time when I was younger."

Yuji bumped my shoulder, "Megumi told us it would be a good idea. We can all change into our pj's and then come back?"

"Let's do it," I smiled at him before they left to change. I took the opportunity to rip open the letter my father had left with Saito. I inhaled shakily while my hands trembled. My heart pounded in my chest as I read through the letter. It was short and to the point.

Azumi,

Can we meet for lunch sometime before your next case or class? I have some words I would like to share with you. Your mother will not be joining us. I want to spend quality time with my daughter.

Your father.

I clenched my jaw as I read through it a few more times... quality time with my daughter? What the hell did that even mean? I imagine this is why he'd been so distant the entire time we were at dinner, besides talking to the boys. I slipped the letter into one of my cubbies before changing into an oversized shirt and shorts. I rubbed my eyes harshly as I paced around my room. Thinking. Overthinking. Imagining.

I ran through a million scenarios in my head of what he could tell me. Nothing could beat the things my mother had yelled at me for already, but she had done a number tonight. I wouldn't regret or apologize for the things I said because I meant them. I just wished I could have a better relationship with her, one where I didn't have to look over my shoulder every few minutes. One where I could call her and tell her about my crush on a boy that makes my stomach flutter and my skin tingle by looking at me. I wish it were different. Everything.

Yuji was the first to return, having changed into his pjs he looked relaxed and comfortable. "Is that my shirt?" He raised an eyebrow with a smile.

I looked down quickly and realized it was. "Oh, yeah. It's nice," I shrugged with a smirk.

"I'm sure it is," He laughed, "I didn't even realize it was gone. It's yours now."

I tilted my head as he approached, "We can share custody."

"Fifty-fifty?" He raised an eyebrow.

I tapped my chin in wonder, "Maybe eighty-twenty?"

Yuji ran his hand down my arm before he took hold of my fingertips to squeeze them, "Anything you want."

"Anything?" I raised my eyebrows and smirked, "Even your favorite hoodie?"

He hissed, "We might need a contract for that one."