Shibuya pt.2

I was five, almost six when I met Satoru for the first time.

We sat across the dining table and glared at one another. Our parents asked him questions while he pouted and ate his dinner. I picked at my vegetables while keeping him within my view. It wasn't until my father began to complain about my technique that his expression shifted. The glare was still there, but it felt fake in a way.

It was like he was pretending to be angry.

After our parents exited the room, he scooted to sit beside me. With a flick to my forehead, he said, "A mini-me, huh? Another brat I need to look after."

He patted my head affectionately before standing up, "Come with me. I know where they hide the sweet treats."

I followed behind with my hands wrapped around one of his as he took me to a locked room on the main floor. He unlocked the door and opened it to a sweet Heaven. We ransacked the storage room for hours until Saito found us and smacked Satoru around. I was so high on sweets that Saito forced Satoru to stay awake with me until I inevitably knocked the fuck out.

I think about that night often. It had been the first night in months where I had laughed. He came over every night after that, or at least when he wasn't abroad for a mission. He quickly became my best friend and mentor.

When I was ten, I moved in with Satoru because of the toxicity within my home. Our parents seemed to hold me on a tighter leash than Satoru had ever experienced. It was overwhelming how someone could feel so...small in that home.

I met Megumi a few months after living with Satoru. He'd brought him over after school one afternoon. He insisted I needed more friends outside of him.

Megumi had taken one look, up and down, before frowning, "Does she speak?"

I furrowed my eyebrows, "I think some people speak too much."

He seemed choked before laughing, "Like your brother!"

We laughed together while my brother complained in the back. Satoru sat us down in front of his Xbox, where Megumi and I played video games for hours until dinner was ready. We'd bonded over how annoying my brother could be, our favorite video game characters, and how too many had too many opinions.

As the years went on, I met more sorcerers who either wanted to kill me or wanted to 'get to know' me to get closer to Satoru. I never met anyone as genuine as Megumi or the second years.

I ate my words the night we went to the thermometer shed to locate Sukuna's finger.

~~~~

I was floating within space and time. Everything was frozen in place, and the stars were so bright around me that they nearly blinded me. They were so close...I could almost reach out to touch them.

"You've come to visit me once more, little bird." A familiar voice whispered. Their voice echoes through the gaps in space before disappearing altogether.

I turned, as best I could, to find a beautiful woman sitting crossed-legged. Her translucent hair flowed in ringlets around her, with a wispy dress and a bird's mask formed of iron and stones. I tilted my head in confusion, "Who are you?"

"You don't remember me?" She giggled. Bright, violet eyes sparkled.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "No, I don't."

She reached forward to push my hair back. Her touch was warm and welcoming, "I'm your soul."

"My soul?" I twiddled with my thumbs.