Lockdown

When I opened my eyes, I was lying on my stomach on a freezing table, shaking as I gripped the edges. I hissed as Ieiri ran her hand across my back to soothe my slatches with her technique. I turned my head to see who Satoru impatiently paced back and forth while shaking his head, murmuring to himself, his hands in tight fists.

"Breathe," She whispered as she continued, "I just started."

"Great," I hissed through my teeth.

From the heavy steps Satoru was taking, I could tell where this conversation would go as soon as he opened his mouth. It had always been this way: I'd get a scratch, and he'd go nuclear. I wanted to tell him this situation was different, but there would be no convincing once he got an idea into his thick skull.

"Satoru," I whispered, "Stop pacing, you're making me nauseous."

His hands shook as he released his tight fists, "She told you to breathe."

"I'm asking you to calm down," I told him as he kneeled by my face.

He kept the blindfold on, but I could feel the heat of anger in his stare, "I'm fine," I told him.

He chuckled, "I'm not having this conversation with you right now. Let Ieiri help you, and then we can talk."

I kept quiet while she worked, organizing my thoughts as I remembered the fight with Sukuna before Itadori finally broke through. My eyes watered. He was too young to pass like that. Too kind and passionate. I swallowed when I remembered the last look he gave me before he collapsed, begging for forgiveness that was not necessary. I understood what this world did to people like him; it chewed them up and spit them out like ghosts of who they used to be. I saw that every time I looked at my brother.

"You recovered Itadori's body?" I asked, slightly tensing as Ieiri went over a sensitive spot.

Satoru nodded, "He's a few rooms down if you want to see him after you're done."

"Does it get easier?" I let a tear escape, "Watching your classmates die?"

Satoru swallowed, "No."

I chuckled, "Thank you for the honesty." He patted my head as Ieiri finished a few minutes later. Satoru excused himself from the room so I could change into a looser-fitting uniform until the sensitivity on my back disappeared.

Ieiri watched me for a second, "You did what you could. You can't save everyone."

I pulled my hair back into a low pony before I answered, "It still doesn't make it any easier or fair."

"Unfortunately so," She nodded to the exit, "Let's visit him."

We walked down the hall and into the Morgue at Jujutsu High. I held my breath as I approached the table that held his body. A sheet covered him entirely. I played with the sheet between my fingers before stepping aside to give Ieiri the room she needed.

"Megumi? Kugisaki?" I asked a distraught Ijichi.

"Resting in their dorms. Kugisaki is making a steady recovery."

"Thank you," I sighed as I stood next to Satoru.

Without missing a beat, Satoru said, "It was intentional, wasn't it?"

I gasped as Ijichi rubbed his palms together, "What do you mean?"

"I had to pull some strings to get a stay of execution for Itadori," Satoru scratched his head, "Those crusty higher-ups used the special grade to get rid of him in my absence. If the other three, my sister included, would have died, that would've been the icing on the cake, right?"