Chapter 1

(Gabriella's POV)

I was curled up in a corner reading Pride and Prejudice when Jameson Hawthorne burst into my room, with absolutely no dignity.

"Gabs! Gabs?" His exclamation turned into a question when he couldn't find me. I stayed as still as possible, holding my breath and hoping he wouldn't look to his right. Unfortunately, he did.

"There you are! What are you doing in a corner?" He asked, walking towards me. He held out his hand for me to take, but I ignored it, pulling myself up with the wall. I looked down at my purple fuzzy slippers, not being able to meet Jameson's eyes.

"Hey," he said, reaching his hand out to try and lift my chin. "You okay?" I flinched away, hating and fearing the touch of every person. Jamie seemed to sense this, and dropped his hand. Thankfully, he didn't press me.

"Um. Yeah. My grandfather's will is about to be read... and you need to be present," He told me. I took a second to compose myself before I walked past Jamie and out the door. This was the first time I had left my room in days, so it really wasn't shocking seeing the Grayson, Nash, and Xander's eyes widen slightly.

Matthew barely looked up at me, as this was a regular occurrence.

"Finally out, are you?" Grayson asked as I walked up to take my seat. "What were you even doing?" I exhale.

"Reading," I answer. Xander gives me a look that basically said, "Why the hell would you read for days?" I give him a side-eye and lay my right leg over my left. Suddenly, I feel the pain of Mr. Hawthorne's death wash over me, which I had been pushing away for the entire time I was in my room. I tried to push them down, but really, it only made me angry.

"Are you okay?" Jamie asked. "Oh, yeah. Fine," I lied smoothly. Lying kept me safe, at my old house, so it came easily. It was so easy, it felt like the truth. Which made them all buy it.

I huffed out a small breath. Why was this taking so long? I'm here, so why is everyone just sitting around? I turned to ask Grayson, but before I could, he answered.

"We're apparently waiting for a girl named Avery Kylie Grambs," he whispered. My mind immediately searched for an anagram, which I did find. I sighed. Sometimes I hate the way my mind works. It'll involuntarily solve any complicated riddle or anagram within seconds, which is useful at times, but mostly annoying.

We waited a while, and finally Avery Grambs walked into the room with a blue haired girl with an... interesting style. Mr. Ortega, the lawyer who is apparently reading the will, clapped his hands.

"You are here," Mr. Ortega said, projecting his voice to the corners of the room, "to hear the last will and testament of Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne. Per Mr. Hawthorne's instructions, my colleagues will now distribute letters he has left for each of you."

I was quickly handed my letter, my fingers itching to tear open the seal. I was about to, until Mr. Ortega said, "You may open these letters when the reading has concluded."

"Mr. Hawthorne stipulated that all the following individuals must be physically present for the reading of this will: Skye Hawthorne, Zara Hawthorne-Calligaris, Nash Hawthorne, Grayson Hawthorne, Jameson Hawthorne, Alexander Hawthorne, Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs of New Castle, Connecticut, Gabriella Seisha Tettreda, and Matthew Tettreda."

I fidgeted a little upon hearing my mother's name, Gabriella. My thumbs twirled, since I didn't dare look up to see who was looking at me. Matthew and I may have lived here two years, but two years was apparently too little.

"Since you are all here," Mr. Ortega continued, "we may begin."

"I, Tobias Tattersall Hawthorne, being of sound body and mind, decree that my worldly possessions, including all monetary and physical assets, be disposed of as follows. To Andrew and Lottie Laughlin, for years of loyal service, I bequeath a sum of one hundred thousand dollars apiece, with lifelong, rent-free tenancy granted in Wayback Cottage, located on the western border of my Texas estate."