Chapter 10

(Gabriella's POV)

I was sitting with Avery in the back seat of the black SUV in which Oren was driving us to school; Liam was accompanying us.

"Don't worry, I'll explain everything at school--" I was cut off by Jameson sliding into the seat next to me, saying, "You read my letter."

I looked at him confused. Avery read his letter? Jameson hasn't even showed me his letter. I was about to ask him what that was about, when Oren spoke.

"Xander need a ride?" He asked, catching Jamie's eyes in the mirror. He responded with, "Xan goes to school early on Fridays. Extracurricular activity." Then he turned back to Avery, but it was my turn to cut him off.

"It's okay, Oren. I can drive myself. It's kinda why I bought myself a car," I told him with a small smile. He gave me a look.

"Don't do anything stupid," he warned. Jameson and I scoffed in unison. I gave him my second confused look of the day. It's too early for this.

"Gabs and stupid don't go together, and will never go together," he said. I smiled, opening the car door.

"Wait, are you sure? You're already here," Avery called to me. I turned to look at her. Her eyes were filled with concern, although I don't know why. Maybe she doesn't believe when Jameson says that I'm not the type to do stupid things.

"I'll be fine Avery. I'm a very safe driver," I told her, smiling. At that moment, it kinda felt like I was reassuring a worried mother that I was going to be alright. I've never really had to reassure my mother of anything. She couldn't give two shits about what I did.

My smile faded, and I tried to shake away those thoughts, but to no avail. "And besides," I continued, "I think you and Jameson have a lot to talk about." I quickly turned away so they couldn't see the memories that were flooding my brain.

Both my parents screaming at Matt and I, and I had the nerve to talk back.

Matt on the ground, his nose and lip bleeding.

"Dammit," I mumbled. "Get away."

Fiery pain running all along my back.

Blood smeared on the wooden floor.

"Get away!" I yelled. I quickly thought about all the happy times I had.

Penny, Eva, Addy, Matt and I playing tag.

When anxiety meant worrying if I was going to be found in Hide and Seek.

A small smile appeared on my lips. All my bad memories had ebbed away, so I steadily walked to my white Rolls Royce Phantom. On the drive to school, all I was doing was thinking about my happy times.

At school

I got out of my car, locked it and put the keys in my little secret compartment that I built into my backpack. I walked to the archways, spotting Avery doing the same. Unfortunately, Thea Calligaris and her group of... minions? Friends? I don't even know what she calls them-- were watching her.

Before I could call out for Avery-- and, quite frankly, save her-- Thea stepped towards her. I was close enough to hear what that... girl was saying.

"I'm Thea. You must be Avery." Her smile was too sweet. Thea is an absolute bitch. "Why don't I show you to the office?"

I watched the two walk away, annoyance eating at me. Of course Thea had to get to the new girl, the inheritance girl, the Hawthorne heiress. That... is Jameson's stupid idea of a nickname.

I sighed, going in the direction Thea and Avery went, because being late to racing was not ideal.

Lunch

I sat with Thea and her friends since I had a feeling she would want Avery to sit with her.

"Gabi," Thea started.

"Thea," I cut her off. She simply rolled her eyes.

"I haven't really asked, but how does it feel to get more money than the Hawthorne brothers?" She questioned. "You know, how you aren't a Hawthorne, and you seemed to just magically appear one day at Hawthorne House, enrolled here, and then Tobias Hawthorne named you, a nobody in his Will, giving you more money than his own grandsons. Haven't you thought about that?"

Before I could answer, or even dwell on that question, Avery walked through the cafeteria doors. Thea noticed and nudged the seat next to mine with her foot. Avery sat down.

"Sorry if I came on a little strong this morning," Thea said, glancing at her friends. I tried not to snort. Thea Calligaris won't apologize for coming on strong. Ever. She continued.

"It's just that, in your position, I'd want to know." I rolled my eyes internally. Thea isn't even trying to be subtle, and I can tell Avery sees the bait for what it is. My arms instinctively curl in.

"Know what?" Oh my God, Avery, seriously? Thea answered.

"About the Hawthorne brothers. For the longest time, every boy wanted to be them, and everyone who likes boys wanted to date them. The way they look. The way they act." She paused, probably for dramatic effect. Typical Thea. "Even just being Hawthorne-adjacent changed the way that people looked at you."

"I used to study with Xander sometimes," one of Thea's friends said. "Before..."

"They were magic." Thea's expression, to anyone else, would have looked... odd. To people who know her, who really know her, know that she was trying to play with a person. "And when you were in their orbit, you felt like magic, too."

"Invincible," another girl added.

"But some things are inevitable," I said under my breath. I was sure no one heard me, but Avery's eyes... they flickered toward me, just for a second. If I hadn't been watching her eyes while Thea spoke to her, I would have missed it completely.

"They aren't what you think they are," Thea said. "I wouldn't want to live in a house with the Hawthornes."

I could see a mental war break out in Avery's mind, just from looking at her eyes. The girl abruptly said, "I should go." She stood, so did Thea and I.

"Think what you want to about me," she said. "But the last girl at this school who got tangled up with the Hawthorne brothers?" Shit, shit, shit. She's going there. And I guess she isn't counting me. "The last girl who spent hour after hour in that house?"

"She died."

Shit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyyy.

I wanted to sayyyy, so sorry! My updates are becoming less consistent, but I haven't forgotten about this story, I promise!

So I've been thinking about two things A LOT.

Number 1: I really, really, really, want to get into F1. Like, reallyyyyyy bad. I was asking my dad some questions and he-- jokingly, I swear-- said that women can't do it, their hand-eye coordination is really bad, they're terrible drivers, etc. I was cracking his fingers for his, so I pulled just a little harder. Just a tad.

Number 2: I wanna make a Xander fic. There's very little on this platform. I gotta say, the ones that I've read/reading (most of them aren't done) are SO GOOD. But I need moreeeee. He is my favorite brother, and even though I love Jameson, Xander is better! So I really, really want to make one.

Btw, I announced on my announcements page on my acc that when I made a fake online identity for the sake of my privacy, my fake name wasn't supposed to be Poppy. if you want to see the whole explanation, look for my announcement. My real, fake identity is actually Daniella, or Dani, if you prefer nicknames.

Love you guys, and thanks so much for reading my story!

Daniella <3