Chapter 3

(Jameson's POV)

It was obvious Gabs wasn't okay. I haven't seen her a lot for the past few months, but when I did, she seemed fine, until I tried physical contact. There's terror in her eyes every time I reach out for her.

It's around midnight, and I'm walking to go see Gabi, just to check on her, which is probably the last thing she wants at the moment. Well, she's getting my company whether she wants it or not.

I finally arrived, and I was standing in front of Gabi's door when I heard crying from the inside. It sounded quite like Gabs, since she was also speaking to herself.

"No, no, no. Can't-- let-- go--" her voice was cut off with a quiet whisper, almost too quiet for me to hear. It sounded like the voice of Mrs. Laughlin.

"It's all right, dear. You're okay. That is behind you. Let go."

"No! Make them stop!" Gabi howled. I burst into the room, not being able to help myself. I just couldn't sit around while Gabs cried like that.

"What's wrong?" I said urgently. Mrs. Laughlin froze, her arms around Gabi's shoulders. Strange. I thought Gabs didn't like physical contact.

"Nothing to concern yourself with, Jameson," the old woman said slowly. "Just some... personal matters." Gabs continued to sob, but they were muffled since she moved her head to Mrs. Laughlin's shoulder.

"She's clearly not okay," I said, narrowing my eyes at the two. "You really expect me to witness something like this and leave it alone?" I was starting to get annoyed.

"Yes!" Mrs. Laughlin almost yelled. "I do! Besides, you almost never let anyone help you when you're struggling!"

"Almost," I reiterated. The old woman rolled her eyes. "This doesn't concern you," she said in a final tone.

I gave her a look. "And it concerns you? May you please elaborate on the topic of how, please?" That got her. The room fell into silence, only filled by the occasional hiccup from Gabi. Finally, the girl got off Mrs. Laughlin's shoulder, and wiped her eyes.

"I'm fine now. I got it all out, thank you. Now, I'm quite tired, so if you both could please leave..." Gabs said. Her voice was a little hoarse from crying, but other than that, she sounded like she was fine. But she isn't. She's just bottling her emotions again, and soon they'll blow up in everyone's faces.

"Gabs," I tried. She held up a hand. "Like I said, I'm quite tired. Thank you, Mrs. Laughlin for the shoulder to cry on. I'll let you know if I need it again," Gabi stated. There was a hint of teasing, as if she was saying that no, she will not need another shoulder to cry on.

Probably just a pillow.

*

(Gabriella's POV)

Once Mrs. Laughlin and Jameson left, I walked into my closet to change into my pj's, and then went to do my night routine. Once I was finished, I pulled out Pride and Prejudice, but I couldn't concentrate on the words. My mind kept wandering back to when Mrs. Laughlin and Jameson had argued over my... secret.

I don't know why Jameson was being so persistent. It's not his burden to carry.

It's mine.

I don't know how Matt is the way he is. He pretends like nothing has ever happened. I try to be like that, and I manage sometimes. But other times, it's too hard. So I shut myself up in my room, and I escape to worlds where there's love and happiness. Not pain and tears.