Chapter 4

(Gabriella's POV)

The house was unusually quiet as I walked down a flight of steps to get to the kitchen, which probably meant Jameson and Xander were at school. Jameson unwillingly, obiviously.

It was 9 am, and I was starving, even though I ate last night. The house was always cold in the morning, so I had on my dark blue wool coat I had acquired with Matthew while begging. I remember being so happy and grateful to receive such a wonderful gift.

I opened the door to the kitchen, only to find all four Hawthorne brothers, Avery, Matthew, and Libby gathered around the stone isle, their heads bowed, and speaking in low voices.

"Um, hey guys," I said apprehensively. "What are you doing?" As I came closer, Xander reached over and closed a notebook. Strange. Although, very normal, as this is Hawthorne house. All the same, I frowned.

"We're just planning some stuff," Matthew told me. I gave everyone a look in turn. "Without me?" I asked, skepticism lacing my voice. It's not that I cared if they left me out of anything, in fact, they could leave me out of everything for all I cared. It was just my tactic to see if they would tell me or not.

"Yeah, sorry about that. It's just not for you," my brother told me. My own brother. Telling me that it's not for me. See, I don't mind being left out of things because I like being alone more than being with other people. But when someone tells me 'it's not for me' 'you can't handle it' and some crap like that, it stings. More so when it comes from my brother.

I narrowed my eyes at the group. "I see," I said, my voice going cold. Most of them saw that Matthew had crossed a line. Matthew himself did not. I turned to leave the room, but stopped for a second to snatch a croissant off the diner. 

It was clearly not enough to sustain me until lunch, but I wasn't about to fix myself something to eat where I wasn't wanted. Having a meeting in a room at 9 am where I am surely going to go is a stupid idea, but I wasn't about to ask them to go somewhere else just for my stomach. There is a thing called DoorDash.

*

(Jameson's POV)

I watched Gabs grab a croissant and leave the room, feeling angry at Matthew for saying something that quite obviously upset her.

As soon as I was sure Gabi was out of earshot, I rounded on Matt. The thing is, I wasn't the only one.

"Why would you say that?"

"She's your sister, not a piece of glass!"

"What is wrong with you?"

"You should run before I shove my foot up your a--"

"Alright!" Matthew interrupted Nash before he could finish his sentence. "I'm sorry! I just didn't think anyone would want me to tell her what we were planning! It's supposed to be a surprise, and by the looks of it, she was Hangry Gabi," he yelled, raising his hands in surrender.

"And why would it matter if she was hangry?" Avery asked indignantly. Matthew smirked.

"Hangry Gabi stays in the kitchen for at least an hour," he explained. I smiled, and asked, "You do it with her, don't you?" Matt nodded.

"Back to the planning," Libby said, her voice set with determination. "Matthew, what's her favorite color?" Matthew thought for a moment.

"Last I heard was three years ago. At the time, she told me red. I wouldn't know if she's changed it, unless she's told one of you four?" He asked my brothers and I.