Demons

"So, you can really summon demons?" 13-year-old Karai asked in a deadpanned tone as she crossed her arm, looking at her friend skeptically as she looked over her mother's book. "Of course, I can! I have seen my mother do it a million times!"

"Seeing and doing isn't the same thing, Shinigami," Karai smirked. "Is that not how you learned how to do ninjutsu?" Karai had no argument for that, so she just rolled her eyes and sighed. "Ok, so what do we have to do?"

"First, we draw the symbol." Shinigami said while picking up a piece of chalk and using it to draw a strange looking symbol on the ground. "Next we need a sacrifice," Karai's eyes widened at that but Shinigami quickly assured her, "Don't worry! The book does not say we need a human sacrifice!"

Humming to herself, she looked around the room and smiled when she saw a spider crawling next to her. She smashed it with the book, then scrapped its remains on the symbol. "Next, a drop of our blood." Without any hesitation at all, Shinigami pricked her finger with a needle and let it drop in the middle of the circle. She held her hand out to Karai who hesitated briefly but then reluctantly gave her hand. She hissed when Shinigami pricked it then did the same thing her friend had done, and let it drop on the circle. "And now...I will summon the demon."

After clearing her throat and fixing her posture, Shinigami took a deep breath and began to say the spell, "Idaina seirei yo, meikai no okufukaku kara, watashi wa koko-sei no sekai kara dete kite, watashi ni sugata o arawashite kudasai!"

Once she finished, she opened her eyes and frowned in confusion when nothing happened. She looked around then at the book and frowned disappointedly. Karai frowned, feeling bad for her friend. "Hey, Shini, it's ok. It probably wasn't a good idea any-What's that?!" Karai cut herself off when she noticed the circle suddenly glowing and the stuff in the room beginning to float up in the air.

The two girls watched, their mouths gasping as a ghostly spirit, with sharp fangs, and claws showed itself to them, snarling. Karai was frozen in shock as Shinigami beamed brightly. "I did it...I did it, I did it, I did it!"

"Who dares summon me?!" The demon snarled while glaring at the two girls. Shinigami immediately raised her hand. "That would be me! Hello! My name is Shinigami, I am Kitsune's daughter! Perhaps you have met her?"

The demon sighed. "Unfortunately I have. What is it that you need, child? Why have you summoned me?"

"Oh, I do not need anything. I just wished to show my friend that I can indeed summon demons," Shinigami said while smirking at Karai who was still awestruck. The demon looked annoyed by this. "Seriously? You do know I have much better things to do with my time than entertain brats!"

Shinigami gave him a flat look. "You live in the Netherworld. What could you possibly be doing down there that is so important?" The demon growled. "Just don't summon me again unless you have a real deal to make!" With that, the demon left and when he was gone, Shinigami turned to her friend with a knowing smile. "My mother says I should not make deals with demons until I am older but we are free to annoy them whenever we like."

"That. Was. So...cool!" Karai exclaimed, grinning excitedly, making Shinigami crackle. "Can you summon another one?!" She asked and Shinigami nodded as she flipped through the pages, Karai leaning in the look as the two discussed which demon they should summon next.