Volume 1 | ( Chapter 1 ) ʚɞ

-ˋˏ┈┈┈┈

My eyes flutter open, the world a hazy blur before me. Gradually, the darkness clears, revealing the grim reality of my surroundings.

Where am I?

Am I still alive?

My head pounds with a headache for the ages, distorting my sight even more than when I first opened my eyes. Despite the uncertainty and bleariness, I can make out enough to know I'm not in the alley where I closed my eyes.

I find myself in a dreary, dimly lit cell with dark walls and no lights. The air is cold and damp, heavy with the stench of mildew and decay, assaulting my already weakened senses.

Was I captured?

I try to move, to rise from the cold stone floor, but a searing pain courses through my body, reminding me of the injuries that bind me. Something restricts my movements, and I blink to see what's holding me. Chains encircle my wrists, securing me to the unforgiving wall. The metal bites into my flesh, and its coldness does nothing to soothe the burns of my damaged skin.

Just as I think I'm caught on my deathbed, I look down at my abdomen with a frown. I'm wearing some sort of dress, made with fine silks and cottons I don't typically wear. I expect to see blood leaking onto the fine fabric, perhaps bandages holding back the red liquid from the wound I sustained.

Nothing.

With gritted teeth, I force myself to ignore the pain surrounding my body and lift myself to a sitting position. It takes all of me to ignore my attire, a problem for another moment. Once I check beneath my dress, I find the fine material is drenched in what smells like urine and is easy to pull off. The sight stills me.

My body is littered with bruises.

But... there's no stab wound on my abdomen or chest.

How... how is that possible?

As if on cue, I fall forward and down to my elbows with a gasp of pain. Memories that I know aren't mine bombard my mind like fire ants with a vengeance. I see flashes of a life beyond what I know. Of a young noble girl.