Volume 1 | ( Chapter 19) ʚɞ

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

-ˋˏ┈┈┈┈

As I burst out of the main palace doors, the fierce storm raging around me seems to mirror the tempestuous emotions swirling within.

Rain pelts against my skin, drenching me in its icy embrace, yet I pay no heed to the discomfort. The barely suppressed anger within me burns hotter than any downpour, fuelling my hastened steps as I navigate the slick cobblestones.

That woman...has a child? Another daughter?

As panic surges through me like an electric current, my mind races with a flurry of questions and fears. A mixture of dread and curiosity fills my heart, overshadowed by haunting memories of the abuse that woman is capable of hurling.

I can see it so vividly, the phantom scars on my back, no longer visible, twitching in pain. As if to remind me that no matter how well they've healed, they still cause misery.

I close my eyes, my thoughts a whirlwind of torment and despair. The vivid recollections of her merciless beatings, the searing pain of burns on my skin, and the scars etched upon my back. I can still feel the sting, as if those wounds were inflicted just yesterday. The thought that this new sister might have experienced the same torment sends shivers down my spine.

How old is she? If I'm correct, Nirvana's mother left more than ten years ago. The child cannot be older than that.

A wave of empathy washes over me, tinged with a bitter resentment towards the woman who perpetuated such cruelty. Is this little girl...alright? Has she endured the same nightmares, the same sleepless nights filled with fear and despair? The thought of her suffering is a heavy burden to bear.

I clench my jaw. Why do I care? Why should I care? I may now be Nirvana, but I've never met this girl. She isn't my responsibility, and yet, a sudden sense of responsibility looms over me.

The fury within me surges, propelling me forward as if in a desperate attempt to outrun the memories that threaten to engulf me. Somehow, I consider myself akin to Nirvana, because whilst I was not as pitiful as she was in that she begged for love when it was refused to her, I will not lie and say I didn't face many of her hardships.

My thoughts are a whirlwind of bitter resentment, frustration, and the undeniable yearning for a semblance of solace. So engulfed in my thoughts, I ignore the haze that's beginning to line my sight, and the heat that's beginning to sear at my skin despite the coldness outside.

The rain-soaked grounds stretch before me, their deserted paths offering privacy in their desolation. I pay no heed to the soaked hems of my clothes, the sodden fabric clinging to my frame. The world around me fades into a blur as I channel my focus into the rhythm of my footsteps, rushing almost, each stride a cathartic release of pent-up emotions.

My thoughts swirling in turmoil, I collide with someone, jolting me out of my reverie. "Ah." Looking up, I find myself staring into the dark depths of Prince Alister's eyes. He holds an umbrella aloft, protecting me from the relentless rain. I'm momentarily taken aback, my cold facade faltering for an instant.