Volume 1 | ( Chapter 22) ʚɞ

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

-ˋˏ┈┈┈┈

As I head towards Dahlia's Dukedom, I think back to the letter she formally sent for me. I had completely forgotten about it, only remembering when a letter stamped with the mark of the Alfonse family reached me through Six.

I glance at the empty carriage, housing only me, and think back to why Six couldn't accompany me.

As I bring Shade back to the house, a wave of curiosity emanates from Six. I can sense her questioning gaze fixed upon the unconscious figure lying before us. She's staring at the injured and unconscious girl in my arms in the halls of my manor, having approached me a few moments ago.

"Who is this, my lady?" Six's voice carries a mix of concern and curiosity.

I pause for a moment, considering what to tell her. Or more so, how to tell her. "I encountered her fighting a beast in a forbidden forest," I reply, my tone measured. "I had planned to leave her be, but she fainted. Her particular set of skills could be useful on our side. If I can manage to snare her."

Something tells me she won't so easily become someone who belongs entirely to me.

She hums in response. "We should tend to her wounds and ensure she is comfortable." Already getting to work, she shifts her attention to the practical matters at hand. I nod in agreement, grateful for her pragmatism.

I carefully carry the unconscious mercenary to a guest room, laying her upon a plush bed. Six fetches a basin of warm water and clean linens while I gather salves and bandages to attend to her injuries. We work in silence as I examine my handiwork, glad I was taught how to keep myself and others alive when heavily injured without much help.

As I examine Shade's wounds, I resolve to do what I can to ensure her recovery, not only for her sake but for the potential alliance she may bring to our cause.

"She has poison in her system," I say, observing her pale face. "With the amount of dark-looking fluid that foul beast was spitting towards her, I'm not all that surprised it was poison. It will take some time for her to wake up."

Six nods. "I will care for her while you are away."

I snap out of my daze as we arrive at the Alfonse estate. The landscape unravels before me, revealing the magnificent estate that stretches across the horizon. The vastness of the grounds is steeped in wealth and opulence, which even other nobles find difficult to emulate.

As I approach, the estate comes into clearer view, its architectural splendour captivating my gaze. Elegant pillars and intricately carved details adorn the façade, showcasing the impeccable craftsmanship that went into its creation. The family emblem is carved into nearly every noticeable surface, from the gates to the flags that wave on top of the columns.

"My lady," the carriage doors open. The coachman stands there with a curious look in his eyes.

Most likely wondering why he had to escort me all the way from the Sinclair household. When Dahlia sent her invitation, I sent her the odd request that she provide me with a carriage to reach her household. Though she was curious as to why I was asking her such a thing, she didn't say anything and merely asked what day and time would be most suitable.