Volume 1 | ( Chapter 37) ʚɞ

-ˋˏ✄┈┈┈┈

-ˋˏ┈┈┈┈

Felix hisses at her, silver hair waving around him. "I could have your head for calling me such a thing." His expression tightens with anger, laced with venomous fury. His blade may be strapped to his hip, but his eyes are nonetheless sharpened as he stares daggers into Imelda.

I glance at how his arm is protectively around Six.

I choose to ignore what that entails for now.

I turn my gaze toward Six, my expression cold and detached, a reflection of the control I'm exerting over the whirlwind of emotions that threaten to surge within me. Her form is partially concealed by a bejewelled draped cloak, but her body language hides nothing of her fear and apprehension.

I frown, a silent prompt for her to explain the unfolding situation. My voice, when I speak, is measured and composed, a veneer of control that masks the turmoil simmering beneath the surface. "What's the matter here, exactly?"

Six's gaze meets mine from behind the veil of her mask, her voice steady as she begins to recount the events that led to this tense moment. "We were waiting here as you expected, my lady," she says, her voice calm, though I can hear the worry and caution behind it. She holds her hand to her chest, a small gasp escaping her as she seems to realise Felix still has his arm wrapped around her.

But then, in a swift and unexpected movement, Six pulls away from Felix's grip. The suddenness of her action catches him off guard, the surprise evident in the way his arms momentarily hesitate before releasing her.

I watch this interplay unfold, a silent observer to whatever is playing out before me. The tension in the air seems to thicken as Six's movement adds another layer of complexity to the situation. His hold on her seems a little too familiar...

My gaze shifts between Six and Felix, Imelda and Solaris.

"Lady Imelda suddenly came and attempted to take the little miss," Six continues to explain. With swiftness and precision that calms my racing mind, she quickly reaches for Solaris.

My little sister doesn't react as she's lifted into her arms.

"She is my daughter!" Mother snaps. She whips her arm away from the grip Felix has on her. His hold must've been tight, because as she caresses the soft skin on her wrists, I see hints of small red marks reminiscent of Felix's grip. "I can take her whenever I wish! How dare a mere servant stop me?"

Imelda's words cut through the air, the force of her assertion jarring and grating on my raw nerves. I suddenly feel another headache coming on, and this time, it has nothing to do with my ability. Her claim, that she can do whatever she wants with Solaris because she is her daughter, adds another layer of tension to an already fraught situation.

As I listen to Imelda's words, a rush of memories floods my mind—of when I was too ill to care for Solaris and she wasn't here. She didn't care when I questioned her upon her return, neither for the daughter with a deathly fever nor the one still uncomfortable with her new environment.