CHAPTER 2: THE FESTIVAL

The morning of the Memory Festival dawned with an unusual stillness in the air. The early morning sun filtered through the thick fog that had settled over Hollow Grove, casting the town in an eerie, muted light. Lena Rivers stood by her bedroom window, gazing out at the familiar streets transformed by the mist. The festival was one of the most anticipated events of the year, a day when the townspeople gathered to celebrate and share memories from their past. But this year, the air was tinged with an unspoken tension, and Lena couldn't shake the feeling that something was different.

"Lena, are you ready?" her aunt Evelyn called from downstairs.

"Almost," Lena replied, turning away from the window. She quickly braided her hair, her fingers moving with practiced ease, and then grabbed the small satchel she always carried. It felt heavier than usual today, weighted down by the anxiety gnawing at her.

As she descended the stairs, she found Evelyn waiting at the bottom, adjusting the hem of her dress. "You look lovely, dear," Evelyn said with a warm smile that didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Thanks," Lena replied, trying to muster a smile of her own. But the knot in her stomach refused to loosen. She could sense that Evelyn was just as uneasy as she was, even if neither of them wanted to admit it.

The two made their way to the town square, where the festival was already in full swing. Brightly coloured banners and streamers decorated the streets, and the smell of fresh-baked goods and sweet treats filled the air. Children ran around, laughing and playing, while their parents mingled and chatted, exchanging stories and memories.

Lena spotted her best friend, Sam Carter, near one of the stalls, and waved him over. Sam was tall and lanky, with a mop of dark hair that always seemed to be in his eyes. He grinned when he saw her, jogging over with a spring in his step.

"Morning, Lena!" Sam said cheerfully. "Ready to dive into the past?"

Lena nodded, though she couldn't quite match his enthusiasm. "Yeah, I guess. It's just... this year feels different, doesn't it?"

Sam's smile faltered, and he glanced around as if checking to see who might be listening. "You're not the only one who thinks so. I've been hearing things—people talking about strange dreams, odd memories popping up out of nowhere. And the fog... it's thicker than I've ever seen it."

Lena's heart skipped a beat. "I've had those dreams too," she admitted, lowering her voice. "Dreams about my parents. But they feel more like memories. Like something I should remember but can't quite grasp."

Before Sam could respond, the sound of bells echoed through the square, signalling the start of the festival's main event—the Memory Orbs. The crowd began to move toward the centre of the square, where a large stage had been set up. On the stage stood the town's elders, dressed in their traditional robes, each holding an orb that glowed softly in the misty light.

The Memory Orbs were the heart of the festival, each one containing a stored memory that could be shared with others. People would take turns stepping onto the stage, choosing an orb, and experiencing the memory held within. It was a way to connect with the past, to relive moments of joy, sorrow, and everything in between.