Chapter 30

The Shack had never looked or felt more chaotic.Tools clanked against metal, sparks flew from welding torches, and the smell of oil and burnt wiring permeated the air. What had once been a tourist trap of curiosities was now transformed into a makeshift workshop, a war room where the others were building the very machine that would determine our fate.

The kids had immediately thrown themselves into the project, determined to see it through no matter the cost. Dipper's eyes were sharp, his mind whirring as fast as the gears he was assembling.

Outside, the sky had turned an ominous shade of red, as if the world itself sensed the looming danger.
But inside the Shack, no one had time to dwell on the approaching doom. Every moment was dedicated to a singular purpose: building the machine that could save—or doom—us all.

Despite the feverish activity, something was still missing. Or rather, someone. Ford.
He had been the anchor that kept us steady, or, at least, he had always kept me steady. Now, without him, the task felt impossibly daunting. I could picture the demon's twisted grin, and it fueled my resolve to keep going. To finish this.

"Wendy, I need that wrench!", Stan shouted over the clamor, snapping me back to the present.
Wendy tossed him the tool, her face set in determined concentration. She had been a steady hand in all this, a calm in the storm, but even she couldn't hide the worry in her eyes. She knew the stakes. We all did.

Dipper was hunched over a complicated array of wires, carefully connecting them to a central circuit board. His hands moved quickly but precisely, each connection crucial. He paused only to glance at the diagrams McGucket had given to us, double-checking his work.
"Do you think we can do this?", Dipper asked me, his voice edged with doubt.

Stan grunted as he tightened a bolt, then looked up at Dipper. "We're doing the best we can. That's all we've got right now."
"But what if we mess it up?", Dipper pressed. "What if something goes wrong and—"

I cut him off, my tone rather firm. "No what-ifs, Dipper. We can't afford them. We finish this machine, and we use it to get Ford back. Simple as that."
Dipper fell silent, my words punctuating the air. He returned to wiring, but his movements were more frantic now, as if he was trying to outrun his doubts.

Ford had always been the genius, the one with the answers, and now Dipper probably felt he had to fill that role as best he could.
And I? Well, I was trying to keep us all sane. I kept us all on task, making sure we kept moving, that we didn't have time to dwell on the risks we were taking.

Soos was at the back of the room, working on stabilizing one of the machine's key components. His usual easygoing demeanor was gone, replaced by an uncharacteristic seriousness. "I really hope this thing works, dudes.", he muttered to himself, carefully adjusting a calibration dial. "No pressure or anything, but like, the whole world depends on it. And Mr. Pines, too."

Wendy glanced over at Soos, offering him a tight smile. "No biggie, right? Just another day saving the world."
Soos chuckled nervously. "Yeah, just another day..."

"Almost there.", McGucket called out, his hands moving swiftly as he integrated yet another subsystem into the machine.

The machine was beginning to take shape—a complex, almost alien-looking structure of metal, wires, and glowing crystals. It was both terrifying and awe-inspiring. The heart of the machine, a pulsing core of pure energy, sat at the center of the room, its light casting eerie shadows across the walls.

The core was a sight to behold, a swirling vortex of bright light that seemed to capture and contain raw power. It was hypnotizing to look at, the light shifting and shifting, never quite staying the same.