Chapter 22

The night wore on, and eventually, the first light of dawn began to filter through the window. I hadn't slept a wink, but surprisingly, I didn't feel exhausted. Instead, a strange energy buzzed through me, a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

I knew what this meant. I knew what these feelings meant. I had fallen for Ford, hard and fast, and now there was no going back. The question was, what was I supposed to do now? Could I ever risk confessing my feelings to him, knowing how disastrous things could be? Did he even feel the same way, or was I just setting myself up for heartbreak?

But as I lay there in the silence, listening to the first birds begin to sing outside my window, I found that I didn't have the heart to push those feelings aside. In the end, the heart wanted what the heart wanted. And right now, my heart wanted Ford Pines.

But would I tell him? Of course not. The thought was completely ridiculous. Ford was a brilliant, handsome man, and he needed someone who could keep up with his brilliant mind. I was just... me.

Even if I managed to work up the courage to confess my feelings to him, what would that accomplish? At best, he'd feel flattered for a moment before letting me down gently. At worst, I'd end up ruining our friendship and making things awkward between us.

No, it was safer to just keep my feelings to myself, to carry on as we had been before. It was better this way. I would keep my feelings in check, keep our friendship on an even keel, and maybe in time, these inappropriate feelings would fade away.

And if nothing else, I would still have the memory of that incredible night, of massaging Ford's broad shoulders and looking into his eyes as he turned to face me. It would be enough, wouldn't it?

Maybe that was all I could have, but it had to be enough. Because the alternative – risking everything for a shot at something more, only to have it all crumble around me – was simply too much to bear.

Deciding that further attempts at sleep would be futile, I climbed out of bed and got dressed.
The early morning air was crisp and cool, carrying with it the scent of dew-kissed grass. I took a deep breath, allowing the peace of the morning to steal over me. I had a long day ahead of me, but at least for now, everything seemed to hold the promise of a bright and beautiful day.

I made my way down the dimly lit hallways of the Shack. Lost in thought, I almost didn't notice when I turned a corner and nearly collided with the man himself. Ford was standing there, a mug of coffee in his hand and a look of surprise on his face.

"Y/N.". he said, his voice breaking the morning silence. "What are you doing up so early?"
I stumbled to a halt, my cheeks going hot as I took in his rumpled hair and unshaven face. Good lord, even freshly woken up he was handsome.

No, bad Y/N. Don't think about how handsome he is. Focus, woman!

Ford's eyebrows knitted together, a look of concern crossing his face. "Y/N.", he said softly. "Did you sleep at all last night?"
"Yeah, yeah, of course I did.", I said quickly, forcing a smile. "I just... wanted to get an early start on the day, that's all." The lie sounded incredibly unconvincing even to my own ears.

I couldn't bear the thought of him seeing through my lie, of him asking too many questions. I brushed past him, my chest tight with anxiety. "I need some coffee.", I mumbled, hurrying towards the kitchen.

As I stepped in, I felt the weight of his presence at my back. I could feel his eyes boring into me, as if he was trying to read my thoughts. "Y/N.", he said softly, his voice tinged with concern. "Are you sure you're okay?"

I turned, leaning against the counter as if to steady myself. "I'm fine.", I said breathlessly, but my body language betrayed me. I looked like a cornered animal, ready to run at any moment.