Confusion

Over the next couple of weeks Adam worked diligently in the garden. Every time I saw him he became more stunning and everyday when he left I missed him a little bit more. Unfortunately, I had not been able to spend much time alone with him. That was probably a good thing. I knew it was wrong to have these feelings but I couldn't help it. He was special, there was something that drew me to him. Something that did not exist with my wives. I thought I was confused before when I was questioning my feelings for them but now I was losing my mind.

On Friday afternoon I was lucky enough to have all the girls out of the house, meaning I had Adam all to myself. I looked in the mirror and sighed. I was dying to know what my eyes would look like lined in the thick kohl Adam wore and what my hair would look like blonde. I shook those thoughts from my head, I was wasting my precious time. I walked down the stairs and out into the garden. Adam was working hard by the bench I had been sitting on that was surrounded by the dead rose bushes.

"Hello."

My voice was low so I was surprised when he turned around immediately. He smiled warmly at me, his cheeks bright red from the exertion.

"Hey Tommy."

I went and sat on the bench. He stopped and looked at me, a small smile on his lips.

"It's a beautiful day."

He chuckled, captivating me,

"It is, but it's pretty warm."

He wiped some sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand and I couldn't help staring. What was going on with me?

"Would you like to take a break? I can grab a couple beers?"

He smirked,

"Trying to trick me into something?"

"What? No!"

I blurted, suddenly feeling quite flustered. I felt a blush spread across my cheeks as I looked down at my feet. How embarrassing. I felt a couple fingers on my chin, urging me to look up. I let his fingers lift my face and looked at him.

"I was just kidding Tommy, I'd love a beer."

His voice was soft and it couldn't be but it almost sounded affectionate. I smirked a little,

"Trying to get off easy, are we Lambert?"

He stuck out his tongue,

"Bitch."

I doubled over laughing. No one talked to me like that. His tone was playful and I loved it. I hadn't been around someone who would banter with me like that without getting offended in a long time. When I finally composed myself I realized Adam was kneeling in front of me, his eyes dancing with amusement.

"Well I'm glad I made you laugh but I think you should re-tell the joke. I didn't get it."

I smiled at him as I wiped the tears from my eyes,

"I just haven't had playful banter like that in a long time. I didn't realize how much I missed it."

His smile brightened, how that's even possible I'll never know.

"You don't joke with your wives?"

I shook my head no,

"They take that stuff too personally."

He placed his hand on my knee and I was instantly hyper aware of my entire body and how close his body was to mine,

"I'm sorry."

I looked deep into his eyes and saw he was being genuine. Something else I don't see often. I smiled a little,

"Don't be."

He reached up with his other hand and brushed my hair out my my face,

"I'm thinking of dying my hair blonde and shaving one side of my head and there will be long bangs on the other."

I imagine I looked as shocked as him by my sudden outburst but he still smiled warmly,

"So do it."

He made it sound so simple,

"I've wanted to for a long time but none of my wives approve."

He rolled his eyes,

"So what? It's your hair not theirs. If they really love you they'll want you to be happy and if that makes you happy they'll understand."

I gaped at him, he was so right. If they really love me then they'd want me to feel comfortable in my own skin. I looked back at Adam and he seemed worried,

"I'm sorry if I spoke out of turn Tommy, sometimes I don't remember to keep my mouth shut."

I grabbed both his shoulders, and for the first time, pulled a man into a hug that was more than friendly; this hug meant something. He seemed surprised at first but hugged me back eventually. When I pulled away I had a dopey smile on my face, that was the best hug I've ever had. He smirked at me,

"What was that for?"

My smile grew,

"For being honest with me and helping me see something I had overlooked for the past year and a half."

He smiled softly,

"Glad I could help."

I stood up, grabbing his hand and pulling him up with me,

"Now, how about that beer?"