The Lost Memory

Gojo sat at Airi's bedside, his head resting against her arm, his eyes heavy with exhaustion. Four days had passed, each more agonizing than the last. He hadn’t left her side, not once. The room was dimly lit, a soft glow casting shadows across the walls. Airi's breathing was steady but shallow, the only sign that life still clung to her fragile body.

The fifth morning crept in slowly, a quiet whisper of dawn filtering through the curtains. Gojo stirred, lifting his head slightly, blinking the sleep from his eyes. Airi's hand was warm beneath his, a small comfort in the cold reality they faced.

And then, miraculously, she moved. Her fingers twitched, and her eyes fluttered open. Gojo straightened immediately, his heart pounding in his chest. He could hardly believe it—she was awake. Relief washed over him like a wave, his usually composed demeanor breaking into a rare, genuine smile.

"Airi," he called her name softly, his voice filled with emotion. "You're awake."

But instead of the recognition he had longed for, her eyes remained blank. She looked at him, but there was no spark of familiarity, no relief mirrored in her gaze. Her brow furrowed slightly as if trying to place him, but she couldn’t.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice weak but clear.

Gojo's world shattered in an instant. The hope that had been keeping him together crumbled, replaced by a cold, gnawing dread. He opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. For the first time in his life, Satoru Gojo, the strongest sorcerer, felt utterly powerless.

He stood there, frozen, as the weight of her words sunk in. This couldn’t be happening. Not after everything they had been through. His mind raced, searching for an explanation, for anything that could undo this cruel twist of fate.

He quickly reached for his phone, his hands shaking as he dialed Shoko’s number. She arrived within minutes, her face grim as she took in the situation. After a quick examination, she sighed, her expression serious.

"Her domain…it’s damaged her mind, Satoru. It’s affected her memories. There’s no telling how much she’s lost or if she’ll ever regain them. For now, it’s best to keep your distance and avoid triggering anything that could cause her distress."

Gojo stared at her, his heart sinking even further. "What do you mean, 'keep my distance'? I can’t just leave her like this!"

"I’m not saying you abandon her, but you have to be careful," Shoko replied gently. "She’s vulnerable right now. If you push too hard, it could do more harm than good."

Gojo turned back to Airi, who was now looking around the room with a mixture of confusion and fear. He wanted to reach out to her, to hold her and promise that everything would be okay. But the words died in his throat. The woman he loved, the one who had fought so fiercely by his side, was now a stranger in her own mind.

"I don’t care how long it takes," Gojo said quietly, his voice barely above a whisper. "I’m going to help her remember. Even if it takes the rest of my life, I won’t give up on her."

Shoko placed a hand on his shoulder, offering what comfort she could. "I know you will, Satoru. But take it one step at a time. She needs time to heal, and so do you."

As Shoko left the room, Gojo sat back down, his hand trembling as he reached out to touch Airi’s once more. She didn’t pull away, but there was no warmth in her gaze, no recognition. He swallowed the lump in his throat, trying to push down the despair that threatened to consume him.

"I’m here," he whispered, more to himself than to her. "I’m not going anywhere."

And so, as the fifth day dawned, Satoru Gojo stayed by Airi’s side, holding on to the hope that somewhere, deep inside, she would find her way back to him. Even if it meant facing the darkness all over again, he was ready to fight for her—for them.

But as the silence stretched on, he couldn’t shake the feeling that the battle had only just begun.