nine - chaos upon chaos (PT 2)

Coach Kang wiped his nose with his finger and looked at the blood that was left on his finger pad.
Everyone backed up, some people even grabbed chairs.
Na-yeon was up against a wall, crouching under a window and covering her ears.
Ji-min was with some others at the side of the class. She was looking at me on the other side, watching that I wasn't doing anything stupid.
I think she was a bit relieved when she saw su-hyeok's hold on my arm as he pulled me backwards a bit more.
People were murmuring and whispering and coach turned around so he was facing the wall, continuing to wipe his nose.

That was when on-jo made a big mistake... She smacked him on the back of the head with a bag, and it was hard.
I flinched slightly as she did so and su-hyeok pulled me closer into his side, his arm now around my shoulder.
I knew it meant nothing and it was just him keeping the youngest in the group safe but it made me feel special.
That was when the coach turned around, his nose still bleeding.

Cheong-san stepped in and held on-jo's arm. He was protecting her. Maybe Ji-min was right that they liked each other.
"You fucking bitch," coach Kang said, taking big strides towards the two.
Once he was in front of them, he raised his hand as if he was going to slap on-jo and then... He fell face first onto the floor.

Gasps echoed around the room, whispers and mumbles passed between people.
I glanced at su-hyeok and he glanced at me, we both shared a look of confusion.

Then, just as everyone was deciding that we should get out of here.
The coach's bones started to crack and make that same breaking sound that the boy's did earlier in the hallway when this first started.
I covered my ear with my free hand and put my head to su-hyeok's shoulder to cover my other ear with his arm.
Coach Kang was turning.

"Get him out of here, hurry!!" I heard the muffled sound of na-yeon's voice through my hands.
I wanted to run across to the other side of the class to grab my sister but I knew I shouldn't. I knew that would be risky for me to do and I was perfectly safe here with su-hyeok.
I just hoped that nothing would happen to her.
"Hurry! Throw him out!!" I heard na-yeon again.
I didn't hear anyone else speaking though, no-one else was loud enough to get through my hand on my ear.

He started moving across the floor, his arm outstretched and trying to grab at a girl's foot who was on the same side of the room as my sister.
And then... He got up off the floor and lunged at the girl, knocking her onto her back on the floor and he pounced on top of her as she screamed.
He bit her face.. a chunk of it coming right off.
Dae-su ran towards the girl and tried to pull coach Kang off her but it was too late, she had already got bitten.
Dae-su picked coach Kang up and wrapped his arms around coach's waist while coach squirmed in his arms.
Then dae-su threw him against one of the cubby shelves in the back of the class causing coach to land on the floor and continue to squirm around.
I felt su-hyeok pull me even closer to him. I gathered he was fighting the urge to do something about this situation but instead he stayed with me, keeping my shaking body as comforted as possible.

The girl on the floor that had got bitten was looking at us all with teary eyes. She was scared and she didn't want to die... You could tell that and it was heart breaking. I didn't even know her and I felt a sharp pain in my heart.
I saw her talking to dae-su but I couldn't hear her and I didn't want to take my hands from my ears, not just yet, not until I knew for sure that the coach was out of the room and... Her as well now.

The coach got back up off the floor and... He stared right at me and su-hyeok.
He didn't attack straight away, no, not just yet.
And then... Almost as if without warning, he charged at us.
Su-hyeok turned one way and I turned the other, my hands now off of my ears.
I could hear all of the shrieks and the groans and cracking of bones. I gagged.
I was shaking harder now and na-yeon didn't stop whining.
Then, the coach went at me again. Su-hyeok was up against a wall opposite me.
I ducked my head and stepped out of the way, dodging the zombie Coach for a second before it ran at me again, slamming me against a wall this time and trapping me there.
It breathed it's rancid breath over me and snapped its jaws at me while I groaned and whimpered, my arm at its neck trying to get it off me.
Su-hyeok ran behind it and pulled it back by it's hair. Su-hyeok then punched it several times before throwing it into a wall as it slid down.
I was breathing heavily as tears streamed down my face. Ji-min ran over to me and grabbed me, pulling me into her arms and crying with me.

"You're okay, you're okay," she whispered into my hair. I wasn't sure if she was trying to tell me that or if she was telling it to herself.
I stayed like that, my eyes open and staring at the coach as he got up off the floor.
But before he could move towards us again, Cheong-san had grabbed a desk and was running at coach with it, he pinned the coach to the wall with the desk as Coach Kang struggled against it.
Another one of the boys ran up next to Cheong-san and helped him hold coach there with the desk.
The girl who had got bitten was staring at us all saying how she didn't want to die and she was asking for us to help. But... There wasn't anything we could do to help her...
And I hated it.
My tears streamed faster down my face now and Ji-min held me tighter, smoothing down my hair the same way that mom does. I wondered if mom was still alive... I wondered if she and dad were looking for me and Ji-min.
I cried even harder at the thought of this.

Then, na-yeon finally got off the floor and ran towards the door. She started to take the desks and chairs away from the door. She was actually doing something other than complaining.
The girl who got bitten started to get up off the floor, using the cubby shelves for support. She started to walk towards na-yeon.

Na-yeon turned around and yelled, " don't come any closer! Get away from me. No!" And then she kicked the girl, causing the girl to fly back into the floor... Her bones started to crack and I gagged again.
Ji-min moved my head so it was buried in her chest so I couldn't see anything. And she covered my ears with her hands so I didn't have to hear. She pressed her lips to my hair in hopes of comforting me. I love Ji-min.