twelve - hope

It had been a while now that we were stuck in this class, the zombies still groaning outside in the hallway.
About a half hour ago everyone had finally realised su-hyeok was missing, on-jo was the first to point it out.
She looked more than upset though, like a piece of her heart had torn apart.
Which made me mentally question my sister's theory of on-jo and Cheong-san liking eachother, again.

Everyone was now leaning against walls, all physically and mentally exhausted.
I had finally mustered up the energy to take my jumper off and it was now strewn on a desk somewhere.
Ji-min was next to me, holding my hand. She had lectured me a few minutes ago on my fight with na-yeon but I didn't listen. Her words were only annoying me further.

Our silence got interrupted by the sound of the speakers making an awful screeching sound. This just caused the zombies outside to get more riled up and crowd around the speakers. My hands flew up to my ears to cover them from the deafening noise.
"Students and teachers of Hyosan Highschool. I'm park sun-hwa, the English teacher. Something strange, is happening throughout the school. Some students are attacking others indiscriminately. So... So please flee and find a safe place. And if any students or faculty hears this and is able to, please call the police and the fire department," i could hear this through my covered ears and slowly let my hands fall back to my sides, glancing at my sister. Then Miss Park continued, "Students, hide somewhere safe until help arrives. If you can get out of the school, please get out," she then repeated her message again, her voice shaky.
She asked if people were okay... As if we could respond to her through our own microphone.

I honestly felt bad for her, a tear streaming down my cheek that I quickly swiped at.
We had already lost a girl in our group, and probably su-hyeok too.
Su-hyeok was so nice as well and... Then I started to cry a bit more, still quiet but sniffling every so often.
Ji-min must've noticed because she put her arm around my shoulder and pulled me into her so my head was on her shoulder.
Her words were making most of us cry apart from Cheong-san, on-jo and Ji-min.
I knew my sister wanted to cry though... She always kept her emotions inside, bottled up so no-one could see. Unless she was really struggling.

I couldn't help the thought that crossed my mind, if mom and dad were dead.. another tear fell down my face as I whispered, my voice cracking, "Ji-min... Do you think mom and dad are dead?" I stared at the wall opposite us, keeping my head on her shoulder.

This question seemed to make her freeze up slightly because I could feel her body stiffen and her fingers stop rubbing circles on my shoulder.
Then, she finally spoke, her voice was quiet and also breaking slightly as she spoke, "I... Don't know. I don't think they will be... I hope they aren't. They're probably looking for us right now,"

I knew her words weren't a promise. I knew she was trying to convince herself as much as she was trying to convince me.
The thought hurt, it hurt a lot. My chest was physically aching.
I wiped my eyes again, trying to shake the thought of mom and dad being a zombie.

Maybe it would all be okay... Maybe our whole group would get out of school and see our parents again. Maybe we'd go to the broadcasting room where the teacher must be. Maybe I'll wake up and this will all be a bad dream...