Chapter 9

The days that followed were a strange blur of trying to fit in. For Calypso, it was like trying to wear clothes two sizes too small—it didn't quite fit, but she was making it work somehow. Percy did his best to stay by her side, but as the newness of having him back at Goode High wore off, it became clear that the real world wasn't going to cut them any slack.

Calypso had started to find her footing, though. It wasn't perfect, but she was learning to blend in. The weirdness of her initial days was slowly wearing off, and the whispers had died down—mostly. But then there was Melissa. She was still giving Calypso side-eye in the halls, as if expecting her to trip up any moment. Percy had warned her not to let Melissa get into her head, but it was harder than she expected.

One afternoon, after another long day of trying to keep up with algebra and navigate the chaos that was the lunchroom, Calypso was at her locker when she felt someone watching her. She turned, expecting to see Percy, but instead found herself face-to-face with the last person she wanted to deal with: Melissa.

"You know," Melissa began, crossing her arms and leaning against the locker next to Calypso's, "I can't figure you out."

Calypso blinked, genuinely confused. "What do you mean?"

"You're just... different," Melissa said, giving her a once-over. "Like, you don't belong here. And don't get me wrong, this school's not exactly paradise, but you? You stick out like a sore thumb."

Calypso raised an eyebrow, not sure if she should take it as a compliment or an insult. "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

Melissa smirked, but there was something almost... curious in her eyes. "Not really. It's just an observation. People like you and Percy... you've got this whole mysterious thing going on. And I'm just trying to figure out what your deal is."

Calypso bit her lip, wondering how much she could say without giving too much away. "There's not much to figure out. I'm just trying to get through high school like everyone else."

"Right," Melissa said slowly, clearly not buying it. She tilted her head, scrutinizing Calypso for a second before changing the subject. "So, Percy's been glued to your side lately. What's the deal with you two?"

There it was—the real reason Melissa was hovering. Calypso tried not to let her irritation show. "We're friends," she said simply. "That's all."

"Friends?" Melissa asked, clearly not satisfied with that answer. "You sure?"

Calypso folded her arms, meeting Melissa's gaze head-on. "Yeah, I'm sure. Percy's been through a lot. I'm just here to help him."

Melissa's eyes flickered with something unreadable. For a moment, she seemed to consider that answer, but then her expression shifted into something softer, almost vulnerable. "You know... he never talks about it. About what happened to him. People say he went through some serious stuff, but I don't know anyone who's been able to get him to open up."

Calypso hadn't expected this conversation to take such a turn. "It's not really my place to talk about it. But... yeah. He's been through a lot."

Melissa sighed, the edge in her voice fading. "Look, I know I've been kind of... harsh with you. But it's just because I care about Percy. He's a good guy, and I don't want to see him get hurt."

For a split second, Calypso felt a flicker of understanding. Melissa wasn't just some petty girl with a vendetta; she was someone who actually cared about Percy—someone who, in her own way, was trying to protect him.

"I get that," Calypso said quietly. "But I'm not here to hurt him. He's my friend, too."

Melissa's face softened, and for a moment, the tension between them seemed to ease. She gave a small, almost reluctant smile. "Alright, fair enough. Guess I'll have to give you the benefit of the doubt... for now."