Chapter 13

Calypso burst through the front door, her heart pounding in her chest as tears streamed down her face. She barely noticed the house's usual calming atmosphere—the scent of herbs and the gentle flicker of candles. None of it mattered. Not after what she had just seen.

"Percy!" she called, her voice breaking as she raced through the living room. "Percy, where are you?"

She found him in the kitchen, halfway through a sandwich. He looked up, startled, the concern flashing across his face instantly.

"Calypso?" Percy stood up, wiping his hands on his jeans, moving toward her. "What happened? Are you okay?"

She collapsed into his arms, the sobs escaping before she could even speak. Her entire body shook as she clung to him, her mind spinning from the sight of Eve, so fragile and terrified.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," Percy whispered, holding her tightly. His hands rubbed her back in slow, soothing circles. "Calypso, talk to me. What's going on?"

Calypso pulled back slightly, her face wet with tears as she tried to gather her thoughts. The look of confusion and concern on Percy's face made her feel even more helpless, but she knew she had to tell him.

"It's Eve," she managed, her voice cracking. "It's her mom, Percy. She—she's hurting her."

Percy's expression darkened instantly. His grip on her shoulders tightened, and for a moment, he just stared at her, processing what she'd said.

"What do you mean, hurting her?" His voice was low, a dangerous edge creeping into it.

Calypso sniffed, wiping her face with the back of her hand. "I followed Eve home... I just wanted to check on her, see if she was okay. And when I got to her house... I heard yelling. Her mother was screaming at her, and... I think she's been hitting her, Percy. She's scared to go home. I saw the bruises. And it's worse than what we saw at school."

Percy's jaw clenched, and she could see the fire in his eyes. He stood there, fists curling at his sides, his body rigid with tension.

"That's messed up," Percy growled, his voice shaking with anger. "How long has this been going on?"

"I don't know," Calypso said, shaking her head. "But I don't think this is new. Eve's been hiding it for a long time."

Percy's face hardened even more, his knuckles going white as he squeezed his fists tighter. Calypso could feel the air around them shift—like something was brewing, something dangerous. The windows rattled slightly, and outside, the wind began to pick up.

"Percy..." Calypso said softly, noticing the sudden change in the atmosphere. "You're making a storm."

Percy didn't respond at first, his eyes still focused on the floor, his mind swirling with rage. The sound of distant thunder rumbled through the house, and the wind outside grew stronger, the trees swaying wildly.

"Percy!" Calypso grabbed his arm, forcing him to look at her. "You need to calm down."

He blinked, his breath ragged as he seemed to realize what was happening. Slowly, he exhaled, forcing the tension out of his body. The storm outside quieted, though the air still felt thick with unresolved anger.

"Why do you care so much about this?" Calypso asked, her voice softer now. "I mean... I know it's awful, but you seem really affected by it."

Percy's eyes flickered with something dark, something old and painful. He turned away from her, running a hand through his hair as he paced the kitchen.

"Because I know what it's like," he muttered, his voice tight. "I've been there, Calypso. I know what it's like to come home and be terrified of what's waiting for you."