Chapter 1

Calypso's fingers trembled as she carefully dabbed a cool cloth against Percy's fevered brow. The sea breeze stirred the gauzy curtains of her open-air bedroom, casting shadows that danced like restless spirits. She had tried to be indifferent when he arrived, carried ashore by the gentle waves, but her heart betrayed her. Seeing him again, after all these years, brought back a torrent of emotions she had thought long buried.

"It's been too long, Percy," she whispered, her voice soft as the wind that rustled through the palm trees. "I told myself I wouldn't care if I ever saw you again, but here you are, and I... I can't help it."

She glanced around at the invisible servants who bustled about, bringing fresh bandages and herbal poultices. One of them, particularly sassy today, floated a bottle of ointment in front of her face, shaking it as if to say, "Hurry up."

"I know, I know," Calypso muttered, taking the ointment and applying it to a particularly nasty gash on Percy's arm. "You're just like an overbearing nurse, you know that?"

The bottle jerked away with an air of indignation, and she couldn't help but smile despite the gravity of the situation.

Percy lay unconscious, his chest rising and falling with shallow breaths. His once vibrant face was pale, marred by cuts and bruises that told a story of a battle more ferocious than any she could imagine. His hair, usually a wild mess, was now damp and matted with sweat and seawater.

"How did you get yourself into this mess, Percy Jackson?" she murmured, more to herself than to him. Her fingers brushed a lock of hair from his forehead, a gesture so intimate it made her heart ache.

The invisible servants continued their work, adjusting pillows and smoothing blankets. One of them pointedly waved a vial of healing elixir in front of her, practically tapping its nonexistent foot.

"Yes, yes, I'll give it to him now," Calypso sighed, taking the vial and tilting it to Percy's lips. She supported his head gently as she poured the liquid into his mouth, watching as he reflexively swallowed.

She sat back, her heart heavy with worry and unresolved feelings. "I missed you, Percy. More than I can say. And I hated that I missed you. It wasn't fair, you know. You came into my life, turned everything upside down, and then you left. But now you're back, and I don't know what to feel."

The invisible servants exchanged what Calypso imagined were knowing glances, continuing their work with a renewed sense of purpose. They fluffed pillows, adjusted blankets, and made sure every comfort was provided for their guest.

"You're lucky my helpers are here," Calypso remarked, a hint of sarcasm in her voice. "They're much better at this than I am. Not that I haven't had practice. After all, you weren't the first hero stranded here."

One of the servants floated a bowl of water to her, along with a clean cloth. She accepted it gratefully, using the cloth to clean the blood and grime from Percy's skin. She worked methodically, her movements gentle and precise, but her mind was a whirl of emotions.

She paused, staring at his face, so peaceful in sleep. "I still love you, you know. Even after all this time. Even though you left me here. I never stopped loving you."

The invisible servants continued their tasks, occasionally making motions with objects that seemed to convey a range of emotions—sympathy, annoyance, encouragement. One particularly cheeky servant waved a bouquet of moonlace flowers in front of her face, reminding her of the beauty that still existed on this island, despite her heartache.

"Yes, yes, I see them," she said, taking the flowers and placing them in a vase by Percy's bedside. "Beautiful, aren't they? Just like this island. But beauty can be a prison, too."

She resumed her work, applying more ointment to Percy's wounds and bandaging them carefully. Hours passed in this way, with Calypso tending to him with a devotion that surprised even herself. She had spent so many years alone, her heart hardened by isolation and unfulfilled love, yet here she was, caring for the one who had both broken and healed her heart.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting a warm, golden glow over the island, Calypso finally sat back, exhausted. Percy's breathing had steadied, and his color was slowly returning. She brushed a final kiss across his forehead, a silent promise that she would watch over him through the night.

"Rest, Percy," she whispered. "I'll be here when you wake up."

The invisible servants seemed to approve, their movements softening as they settled down for the evening. One of them floated a blanket up to her, which she gratefully accepted, wrapping it around her shoulders as she settled into a chair beside the bed.

Night fell, and the island grew quiet. The only sounds were the gentle lapping of the waves and the occasional rustle of leaves in the breeze. Calypso watched over Percy, her thoughts a jumble of past memories and future uncertainties.

As dawn broke, bathing the room in soft, rosy light, Calypso was startled by a faint groan. She looked down to see Percy stirring, his eyelids fluttering as he slowly came to.

"Percy?" she called softly, leaning closer. "Can you hear me?"

Percy's eyes blinked open, dazed and confused. He looked around, taking in his surroundings with a mixture of bewilderment and relief.

"Calypso?" His voice was hoarse, barely more than a whisper. "Am I... am I dreaming?"

She smiled, her heart aching with both joy and sorrow. "No, Percy. You're not dreaming. You're safe. You're on Ogygia."

He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath as if trying to steady himself. When he opened them again, they were filled with a pain that made Calypso's heart clench.

"Annabeth..." Percy's voice broke, and he turned his head away, tears slipping down his cheeks. "She's gone, Calypso. She died right in front of me. In the fire. I couldn't save her."

Calypso's heart shattered at his words. She reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "Oh, Percy... I'm so sorry."

He began to sob quietly, his shoulders shaking with the weight of his grief. Calypso moved closer, gathering him into her arms. "Let it out," she whispered. "I'm here. You're not alone."

Percy clung to her, his tears soaking into her shoulder. They stayed that way for what felt like hours, the only sounds the soft murmur of the waves and Percy's heartbroken sobs.

"I couldn't save her," he repeated, his voice a raw whisper. "I promised her I'd protect her, and I failed."

Calypso stroked his hair, her own tears mingling with his. "You did everything you could, Percy. Sometimes... sometimes even the strongest can't change fate."

He pulled back slightly, looking into her eyes. "Why? Why did this happen? She was everything to me. I don't know how to go on without her."

Calypso cupped his face in her hands, her gaze steady and full of compassion. "I don't have all the answers, Percy. But I do know this—you are stronger than you realize. And right now, you need to heal. Physically and emotionally. Let me help you."

Percy nodded, exhaustion and grief etched into every line of his face. "Thank you, Calypso. For everything."

She smiled softly, brushing a tear from his cheek. "You don't need to thank me, Percy. Just rest. We'll face this together."

Calypso held Percy close, determined to help him find a way through his pain. In that moment, amidst the heartache and uncertainty, there was a glimmer of hope—a promise of healing and the possibility of new beginnings.