16

Shubman's POV

Ughhh long flights are soo annoying. Kya karo itni der. Yes I was on my way to the airport with Abhay asking me the stupidest questions about our matches. He's really excited for his debut. Who wouldn't be? I was over the moon when I played my first match for India. But right now all I want to do is have a nap because it's fucking 5 in the morning.

"Shub yaar what if I don't perform? What if I like literally fuck up?"

"Bhai tu chill kar and mujhe sone de. Let's talk baad mai. Goodnight."

See as a good friends I should've given a pep talk about how he'll play well and how he should not think about the negatives but I'm way to sleepy for that. I didn't sleep yesterday as well because I had called up Shanaya and we talked the entire night.

FLASHBACK

"Bro you haven't seen Friends? Are you like okay?"

"No I haven't. It isn't my fault I was perfecting my cover drives and not watching some 90's ka tv show."

"Oh hello. It's not some 90's ka tv show it's FRIENDS for gods sake." She said with a fake hurt expression and hand on her chest like she'd been betrayed.

Yes we were in FaceTime. And yes I was admiring her all the damn time. It's not my fault that she looks like an angel even at 2 in the morning. Mai toh dishevelled kutta lagta hu.

She had initially called me to pass her time because she was doing some work and Mehar wasn't home. A win win for me.

I know I was the one who imposed the just friends rule but that's because I don't want her to go through trouble not because I don't like her. Ever since our meeting at bastian we've been attached to the hip and by that I mean face time sharing reels and what not. Her sense of humour was really similar to mine. Another green flag.

"Shub kal toh tune jaana nahi? Why are you up so late? you should've told me it completely left my mind."

"But I wanted to talk to you i didn't even realise it'd been that late." I tried to cover up. I don't wanna leave honestly. I know it might seem me being dramatic but Shanaya's just different. She's never wanted to do something with my fame or anything like that.

"You need to sleep Shubman. Chal bye."
"Haw you won't even wish me luck?"

"Good luck gill. Make all the possible records." She said smiling.

Am I melting?

END OF FLASHBACK

"Oh bhai mere kitni der aur soyega. Wake up we've almost landed."

Ok no way I've slept for this long. But I'm glad atleast I missed the part where I would've bored myself to utter absolute nonsense during the flight.

"Zimbabwe so many good memories." This was the place where I'd scored my first century. I'll never forget it.

"Chal Shub the match is in 3 days toh we can roam around and explore this place." Abhay said

The new team looked fresh and young as ever. With Abhay Dhruv Ruturaj and Riyan we were all set to make the most of this series.

"Bro Tu baggage ka dekh I'll be back in a few."

Mummy me 4 missed calls.

It's been so long since I'm travelling for matches but mummy's phone to check in on me after every flight is constant.

"Hanji mamma I've reached. Kaise ho aap?"

"Hum sab badiya hai beta. Shahneel misses you a lot. Tere bina dil nahi lagta hai ghar mai. Make the most of this series captaining India is a really big opportunity. Make us proud."