Vivian POV

As I sipped my coffee and pushed my plate aside, trying to ignore the awkward silence that hung in the air, I heard the sound of footsteps approaching. I looked up just as the front door opened, and a man walked in. He was strikingly handsome, with an easy confidence that seemed to fill the space. His presence was almost magnetic.

"Morning, Aries!" the man called out, his voice warm and cheerful. He glanced over at me, his eyes briefly meeting mine before shifting back to Aries. "I hope I'm not too early."

Aries, who had been preparing to leave, greeted his friend with a smile that looked genuine and relaxed—a stark contrast to the tension that had been between us. "No, not at all, Josh. Good to see you."

Josh. I'd heard the name before. This was the friend Aries had often spoken about—a business associate who also seemed to be one of his closest companions. The kind of friend who was easy-going and liked to keep things light, something I could see in the way he carried himself.

Josh moved over to the table and gave me a friendly nod. "Hi there. I'm Josh. I don't think we've met properly yet."

I forced a polite smile, setting down my cup. "Vivian."

"It's nice to finally meet you," he said with a grin. His gaze lingered on me for a moment, and I felt a flicker of something—maybe it was the ease of his demeanor or the charm he exuded. Whatever it was, it was a sharp contrast to the cold formality I'd grown accustomed to with Aries.

Aries cleared his throat, breaking the brief moment of familiarity. "Josh is here to discuss a few things related to the company. I need to go over some details with him."

Josh looked back at me, his expression softening. "I hope you're settling in okay. If you need anything or if there's anything I can help with, just let me know."

"Thank you," I replied, a bit taken aback by his genuine offer.

Aries picked up his briefcase and gave me a quick, almost mechanical nod. "I'll be back later. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything."

With that, he walked toward the door, leaving Josh and me alone in the kitchen. I could sense the relief in the air as the door closed behind Aries. The atmosphere seemed to lighten a bit, and Josh's presence was undeniably pleasant.

I shifted slightly in my seat, trying to break the ice. "So, Josh, what brings you by this morning?"

Josh leaned casually against the counter, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "Just some work stuff. You know how it is—there's always something to discuss. But enough about that. I'd love to hear how you're adjusting to everything."

His easygoing nature was a welcome change from the cold distance I'd been dealing with. "It's been a bit overwhelming," I admitted. "Everything is so new and different."

"Yeah, I can imagine," Josh said sympathetically. "Aries can be a bit...well, let's just say he's not the best at easing people into things. But don't worry, you'll get used to it. And if you need someone to show you around or just chat, I'm around."

I smiled, appreciating his kindness. "That's very thoughtful of you. Thank you."

Josh grinned, his demeanor making the morning seem a little less daunting. "No problem. I'm sure we'll get to know each other better in no time. And if you need any tips on surviving Aries, well, I'm your guy."

We both laughed, and the sound felt surprisingly good. For a moment, the weight of the situation seemed to lift, if only slightly. As Josh and I continued to chat, I found myself feeling a bit more hopeful. Maybe this new life wasn't going to be entirely unbearable after all.