Aires POV

I woke to an empty bed and a quiet room, the soft morning light slipping through the curtains and casting a muted glow over everything. The weight of the night before lingered, and I struggled to shake off the lingering frustration and exhaustion.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and stood up, noticing the cold spot where Vivian had been. She wasn't here, which was both a relief and a small pang of disappointment. Maybe it was for the best—less chance of more awkward encounters first thing in the morning.

After dressing quickly, I made my way downstairs, still caught in the fog of early morning. As I descended the stairs, the aroma of breakfast reached me, and I realized I was more hungry than I'd thought.

When I entered the kitchen, I saw Vivian seated at the large dining table. She was engrossed in her breakfast, her posture relaxed but graceful. She had on a simple yet elegant dress, the kind that accentuated her features without trying too hard. She looked... beautiful, though I couldn't afford to dwell on that.

I forced myself to ignore the sight and walked over to the counter where the coffee was brewing. I poured myself a cup, the familiar action offering a small semblance of normalcy. The clink of the coffee pot and the gentle hum of the kitchen appliances were the only sounds in the room.

Vivian glanced up momentarily, her eyes meeting mine briefly before she looked away. Her expression was neutral, but I could sense a flicker of something—perhaps discomfort or resignation. I wasn't sure, and I wasn't sure I wanted to be.

I grabbed a plate and served myself some of the breakfast that had been laid out. As I moved to sit at the opposite end of the table, I could feel her eyes occasionally drifting toward me, but I kept my gaze fixed on my plate. We had a routine to establish, and showing any hint of emotion or acknowledgment felt like it would only complicate things further.

The silence stretched between us as we ate. I could sense the tension still lingering, like a charged atmosphere that neither of us wanted to address. I wanted to say something—anything—to break the ice, but every time I considered it, the words felt inadequate.

Vivian's movements were deliberate and calm, and she seemed to be trying her best to make the morning as smooth as possible, but it was clear that both of us were grappling with the same uncomfortable reality.

Finally, I set down my fork, signaling the end of breakfast. "I have some meetings this morning," I said, my voice steady but impersonal. "I'll be out for a while."

Vivian nodded, her gaze still fixed on her plate. "Okay."

I didn't wait for more. I stood up, collected my things, and headed for the door. The weight of the house seemed to press down on me as I stepped outside, and I felt a pang of frustration. This wasn't what I'd imagined for our lives, not even close.

But for now, there was nothing to be done except face the day and hope that somehow, eventually, we'd find a way to navigate this complicated and unwanted arrangement.