10

Rykel frowned as they stood in front of the large cathedral. "A church? Isn't that kind of ironic for a demon?"

Kuragari chuckled. Perhaps. But who would think to look for a demon in a house of God? It has its advantages.

Rykel sighed. "Fine. Let's go check it out. If it's secure enough, we'll make it our temporary base."

It's been empty for years, and no one goes there anymore. It's far enough from prying eyes but close enough to keep an ear to the ground.

When they finally reached the old church, Rykel was struck by its eerie silence. The building loomed before them, its once grand structure now a crumbling relic of the past. Vines and moss clung to the stone walls, and the windows were cracked and covered in grime.

With Kura's help, Rykel pushed open the heavy wooden doors, which creaked loudly in the stillness. Inside, the church was dark and cold, the air thick with dust. Pews lay toppled and scattered, and the altar was covered in a thick layer of cobwebs.

"This place has seen better days," Rykel muttered, her voice echoing slightly in the vast emptiness.

Kuragari nodded. It will do for now. We can make it more comfortable and secure over time.

They set to work, clearing a small area near the altar where they could rest. Rykel found some old blankets and cushions in a storage room, and Kuragari used its strength to move some of the heavier debris out of the way as Rykel was setting up their little den.

As they settled down for the night, Rykel couldn't shake the feeling of unease. "Kura, do you think we can really pull this off? Fighting against Azazel, hiding from the world...it all feels so impossible."

Kuragari's voice was calm and reassuring. We have no choice, Rykel. We will adapt, we will survive, and we will find a way to end this. Remember, you are not alone in this fight. We are in this together.

Rykel nodded, feeling a small spark of hope ignite within her. "Together," she echoed.

Aunt Katherine heard a knock at the door and opened it. Sighing in relief, she allowed the redhead inside.

"Oh, my god, I'm so glad you made it," she muttered as she closed the door and then locked it. "I've been having police up my ass every few hours to check up on the apartment. Rykel and Kuragari are both missing."

"I heard it all on the news this morning," Page said grimly as they headed to the living room to sit in front of the TV.  "Those idiots are going to fuck themselves over if they keep doing shit like this."

"I'm just worried for Rykel," Katherine sighed. "Who knows what she's been through these past few weeks?"

"Well, to be fair, Kuragari's an actually decent character," Page said. "It just sometimes has these dark... impulses. But don't worry, Rykel's strong. She's probably found out a way to reason with the freaky demon."

"Has she been answering her calls or texts?" Page shook her head.

"Her battery is probably low or something," she shrugged. "Knowing her, she has it on silent."

Aunt Katherine said nothing for a moment. "So is it true that you and Rykel went to another world?"

"Us? Oh, totally," Page grinned. "I'm surprised she told you about that."

"Rykel said that's where she met Kura."

"Yeah, it was. That's where we met Quill and Rudd, too." Page fiddled with her bracelet for a moment before looking at the blonde woman. "Listen, if things go down... it's not their fault. They're just trying to do what they think is right."