13

Trafficking, gangs, violence

Spencer sighed as he looked around the now not so chaotic scene. Firefighters were busy putting out the fire as policemen were rounding up stray gang members and stuffing them inside the cars. He approached one of the police cars, seeing Marcus among them.

"Is everything good?" he asked.

"All gang members are accounted for, the rest either died in the fire or got shot by bullets," Marcus stated, a pleased look on his face. "Where's the girl?"

"Oh, she's not the sentimental type," Spencer said with a smile. "She probably ran off with her friend after she saw backup was arriving. She doesn't like to be in the spotlight, if you get my meaning."

"But did she get the data we needed?"

"I believe someone at the station contacted the chief a few minutes ago, saying that an anonymous visitor handed over a small chip from a computer. It seemed to be a downloading device, and also a small memory chip, which we assume has the downloaded information on it as well."

"That had to be her," Marcus grinned. "She got the information!"

Spencer felt a wave of relief wash over him. Rykel had done what she always did—taken risks and fought against the odds to deliver results. "That's our girl," he said, pride swelling in his chest. "She knows how to get things done."

"Let's hope it's enough to dismantle this operation," Marcus replied, glancing back at the chaos around them. "We need to strike hard while we can. The longer we wait, the more time these gangs have to regroup."

"Agreed," Spencer said, his mind racing with the possibilities. "If this data is what we think it is, it could expose their entire network. We just need to make sure it gets into the right hands."

Marcus nodded, his expression turning serious. "And we need to make sure Rykel is safe. If she's still out there, we can't take any chances. These gangs are ruthless, and they'll retaliate if they find out who took their data."

Spencer's heart sank at the thought. "We should send a couple of guys to look for her. I know she can handle herself, but we can't underestimate the danger."

"Right. I'll coordinate with the other officers and get a team out to search for her," Marcus said, already pulling out his radio. "In the meantime, we should keep the area secure. If there are any more gang members hiding out here, we need to flush them out before they can regroup."

As Marcus relayed orders to the other officers, Spencer glanced around, his eyes scanning the scene for any sign of Rykel. He could only hope that she had made it to safety with Kura, but the gnawing anxiety in his gut wouldn't let him rest.

A few minutes later, Marcus returned, a determined look on his face. "I've got a team mobilizing to search the area. They'll be looking for any signs of Rykel and Kura. We should hear back soon."

"Thanks, Marcus," Spencer said, feeling a flicker of gratitude. "I just hope they find her before anyone else does."

As if the universe could sense his worries, a familiar figure appeared in the distance, stepping cautiously out from the shadows on top of a nearby rooftop. Spencer's heart leapt as he recognized Rykel, her expression a mix of relief and determination. Kura loomed behind her, blending into the darkness like a shadow.
With a wave and a smile, he turned back to his duties. They had captured the people they needed, and had received the information they needed to continue this pursuit. And it was all thanks to those two, the young woman and her demon. If it hadn't been for them, the police would have never been able to achieve what they had wanted to for years. Catching the gangs and removing their illegal acts from the cities and states.