11

Slight violence

Kuragari peered down over the side of the apartment, red eyes squinting. "That bitch? What is she doing all the way out here?"

"I don't know but why the heck is she part of a drug dealing business? She was never like that when I was around," Rykel muttered quietly.

"People can change," the demon replied soberly. "She might have hit a low point in her life. Who knows?" It inclined its head as if speaking to Rykel. "What is our plan of action?"

Rykel watched as the leader of the drug dealing group struck the woman with his fist, sending her to the ground. That's when the haunting memories started flooding back.

"You're the reason why your father's never coming back."

"What have you done?"

"You're nothing but a stupid, weak girl who can't own up to her mistakes."

"I wish you were never born."

"There's something wrong with you. Why can't you be normal?"

Rykel's breath hitched as the echoes of her mother's past words reverberated in her mind. The pain and betrayal she had buried deep within her resurfaced with a vengeance, threatening to overwhelm her.

Kuragari sensed the shift in Rykel's demeanor. "Rykel..." they whispered, trying to calm their vessel, their home.

Rykel shook her head, trying to dispel the memories. "I'm fine," she lied, her voice shaky. "Come on, Kura. Let's go."

"But what about—?"

"She deserves it," Rykel said sharply. "She got herself into this mess, she can get herself out. We don't need her thanks. We don't need her anymore. We are fine. Now let's go."

Kuragari hesitated for a moment, glancing back at the commotion that was now taking place in the bottom of the alleyway. Rykel's parental figure was taking a rough beating, and the leader's fists showed no signs of stopping. The other members of the group stood by, indifferent or perhaps too scared to intervene.

"Rykel, I'm not sure," Kuragari started, its voice filled with uncertainty. "You may say she deserves it, but deep down, you know this isn't right. We can't allow this to happen to her."

Rykel clenched her fists, her nails digging into her palms. The turmoil within her was a volatile mix of anger, hurt, and confusion. Her mind screamed to walk away, to leave her mother to her fate. She shook her head.

"She's not my mother, Kura," Rykel finally admitted, her voice breaking. "Not anymore."
Kuragari growled, immediately taking control.
"Hey!" Rykel protested, trying to wrestle for control. Kuragari easily restrained her, turning towards the chaos happening in the alleyway. "Let me go! Stop!"

Kuragari's form shimmered with a dark energy as it dropped down from the building, positioning itself protectively beside the fallen woman on the ground. "Leave her alone, or you'll regret it," it growled, its eyes glowing with an otherworldly light.

The leader hesitated, eyeing Kuragari with suspicion. "What the hell are you?"

"Your worst nightmare," Kuragari replied with a menacing grin. "And you're about to wake up to a very bad reality." It bared its teeth, letting out a furious roar that shook the alleyway.

As the group retreated in pure terror, Kuragari turned to Rykel's mother, who was slowly getting up from the asphalt. The woman looked up, her eyes filled with a mixture of fear and shame.