Chapter Twenty-Two - The Right Arm

Cautiously, we exit Bertha, and walk towards the line of abandoned cars that travel along the winds of the mountains. "Well, I guess we're on foot," Jorge says, adjusting his jacket that had slipped down his shoulder.

I look towards Brenda. Her breathing has become increasingly heavy, and the bags under her eyes have turned a sickly shade of violet. We begin walking, peering into each car we pass for valuables.

Stones rumble from further down the valley, and we all shoot upright with curiosity. Crows caw from the same direction, and the god awful pit settles in my stomach once again.

A popping sound hails from the mountains, and a bullet ricochets off a car that Thomas was examining. We all drop to the floor, hiding behind cars and each other. Bullets beginning raining from the sky, coming from multiple angles. I bring my arms over my head and curl into a ball, safety tucked between two cars. I can't see anyone else from my position, but I'm guessing they're all OK since there have been no screams other than yelps of fright.

For a few seconds, we stay deadly silent, until Thomas decides to open his massive trap. "Hey, is everyone okay out there?"

"We're fine," Aris says from a nearby car. "So are we," Minho says. "Y/n?" Thomas shouts. Everyone else must be together. I stick my hand above one of the cars and wave it around. "All good here, T."

"Anyone else know where those bloody shots came from?" Newt asks loudly, his voice trembling with fear. It's silent for a few more seconds, and I peak over the car on my left. At the same time, Thomas looks over the car he and Jorge are hiding behind, and a bullet lands inches away from his face.

"What do we do?" He asks, presumably to Jorge. I can hear chatter coming from the two of them, but they've stopped being loud enough for me to hear. A high pitched buzz pricks my ears.

"Everybody! Get set to sprint back to the truck! Oh, and hold your ears."

A gun cocks, and a female voice speaks from behind them. "Drop it. Now! I said drop it!"

It's stupid for the two men who act without thinking to be the ones to speak on our behalf. I stand up, and find that it is in fact two women hovering over them. "Get down," one of them speaks. She has curly dark hair pulled into a messy ponytail. The other is blonde, her white-blonde hair trailing in a loose plait down her shoulder. Both of them wear thick coats with scarves pulled over the bottom half of their faces.

I hold my hands up in surrender. "Woah, calm down. I'm not going to do anything, okay?" I walk over to them and take the device from Thomas' hand, setting in on the floor. "On your feet, let's go," the dark haired one says.

"Let's go! Move!" She repeats, her voice raising. "You two, over here, now!" She says, and Minho and Newt walk towards us. The others join us, but Curly's gun falters as she notices Aris. She blinks a few times before lowering it. "Aris?" She says.

All eyes look towards the malnourished boy. She pulls her mask down, and you can tell by his eyes that he immediately recognises her. "Oh my god. Harriet?"

They pull each other into a tight hug. "My god. What the hell are you doing here?" Harriet asks, her curls whacking Aris right in the eye. The blonde one pulls down her mask and joins them in the embrace. "Sonya!" Aris says with a smile.

"Aris! You're lucky we didn't shoot your dumbass," she says, her voice sweet and cheerful. The rest of us all look at each other with confusion as they reunite. "Uh, what's happening?" Minho asks.

"We were in the maze together," he says casually, smile plastered across his face. Harriet walks towards the edge of the road and brings her hand to her mouth. She whistles sharply towards the mountains and calls out, "We're clear, guys! Come on out!"