Epilogue

Change was slow, at first. After the defeat of Queen Lilith, Leviathan was quickly requested by the Changelings to take her place and lead the hive, but the prince wasn't eager to return to his old home. Not after he'd made peace with his friends and agreed to start a life with Irradiance.

At the stallion's urging, however, Leviathan did make the trip back to the hive to reintroduce himself to his citizens, promising to either return or introduce Irradiance as a fellow leader. It was a sweet gesture and Irradiance didn't doubt him for a second.

After being checked out of the hospital, Irradiance was met with hundreds of ponies welcoming him back to Canterlot. He'd been doubtful, but it seemed to truly be the case that, after his disappearance, memorials were made in his honor. After leaving the medical facility, Irradiance visited the statue made in his honor, the plaque, the memorial bench, and the hundreds of flowers that were dropped at his basically-grave every day. All sorts of ponies he'd never met before welcomed him to the city, gifting him bits, food, and even miscellaneous toys, apologizing that he'd been run out and didn't get to enjoy a proper childhood!

Hibiscus automatically graduated from the academy with honors, as Celestia's school faculty were absolutely in awe that not one, but two of their students had been part of the defeat of one of the most dangerous Changeling Hives of all time, and that both had returned safely. The pink Unicorn earned her own memorial plaque, which was placed right beside Irradiance's in the center of the school's courtyard.

Cobalt, training to be a Wonderbolt, was gifted a custom uniform. Though he was a bit of an airhead, he was an honorable recruit and the team of talented flyers would be foolish not to promote him. True to his promise, Cobalt followed Irradiance around for a long while, performing at his request and defending him against any ponies that lashed out, angered at either the stallion's appearance or his magical gift.

Marigold, not used to pony living, was slow to allow herself socialization. She familiarized herself with the ancient hero, Fluttershy, living in her cottage once the news of her distant relation to Mage Meadowbrook made it out to the public. She was quickly a topic of discussion, given gifts, and even offered a portrait because of her fame in genetics. As she began to enter society to get ingredients for potions or to study what plants were native to the region, the mare became friendly with a lot of her neighbors and several store ponies, feeling more and more comfortable in her hobbies as she remained in the town.

Though she did return back to the Dragonlands after Irradiance was safe and welcome in his city once more, Amber wasn't about to skip out on visits. She made sure to check in with the ponies as often as possible, delivering information about Leviathan as he took on his new role of King of the Changelings (Irradiance was teased at the release of this knowledge. Not only was he a hero, he was royalty now! What curse did everyone else have to get to turn into a king?) and returning messages from the four ponies back to the stallion.

No longer residing in the forest, Irradiance was offered a home in Canterlot Castle after a month of living with Hibiscus.

"What?" He responded to the guards, who had arrived mid-coffee date with Cobalt, Hibiscus, and Marigold. It was a weekly thing they'd decided to do, getting coffee together. They were all busy readjusting after the fame they'd all gained in their short trip in the forest (though it felt infinite when they had lived it).

"Her Majesty requests that you move into the Canterlot Castle, Irradiance, sir!" A white Pegasus repeated, head held high as he addressed the Unicorn stallion.

"Do I have to move in, like, now?" Irradiance asked, still sipping his espresso.

"Can we move in, too?" Cobalt asked, nearly tipping Marigold's drink on the table. The Pegasi shook their heads.