Chapter 5

The Trial of Battle!

The sunlight filtered through the tall windows of U.A.'s training hall, casting an almost surreal glow on the battlefield simulation area. Junko's nerves hummed with anticipation, the thrill of what was to come buzzing through her veins. All Might had just announced the teams for their upcoming trial of battle, and fate had decided to throw her into the mix with none other than Midoriya and Uraraka, paired together against Iida and Bakugo.

Junko's heart raced when she heard Bakugo's name. She would be fighting him—the same Bakugo she had faced down in junior high, always toe-to-toe with his explosive temper. She had no fear; if anything, she relished the challenge. But her brow furrowed a bit when she learned Midoriya was on her team. The kid had barely scraped through the entrance exam, only passing thanks to his heroic sacrifice. All Might must've given him extra aid in this test by pairing him with two others to balance out his raw potential.

Junko could feel Bakugo's glare from across the room as All Might finished explaining the mission: one team as villains, the other as heroes. The heroes needed to capture a bomb hidden in the building, while the villains had to protect it.

Her team would be playing the heroes.

Uraraka, standing beside Junko, nudged her gently. "We've got this, right?"

Junko flashed a grin, her cocky confidence bubbling to the surface. "Hell yeah, we do."

Midoriya, standing on the other side of her, looked less sure, his hands trembling slightly as he fidgeted with the sleeves of his costume. His face was pale, but determination flickered in his eyes, even if fear clung to the edges of his resolve. Junko noticed how he kept glancing over at Bakugo, clearly anxious about their upcoming confrontation. It was obvious there was history there.

"Iida's fast, but predictable," Junko said, her voice low. "And Bakugo... well, you know what he's like. Hot-headed and explosive. He'll come at us full force. Our best chance is to work together and play to our strengths."

Midoriya gave a shaky nod. "I... I know. I just hope I don't slow you two down."

Uraraka smiled brightly. "Don't worry, Deku! We'll be fine. Right, Junko?"

Junko winked, patting him on the back with a bit more force than necessary. "Yeah, just stick to the plan and let me and Uraraka handle the heavy lifting."

As they walked into the simulation building, the heavy metal doors clanked shut behind them with a loud, echoing thud, sealing them in. The air inside was thick with tension, a slight chill in the atmosphere that added to the already nerve-wracking situation. Junko could hear the faint whirring of the simulation system in the walls, creating a perfect maze of twisting hallways and obstacles. The smell of dust and concrete lingered in the air, the sharp scent mingling with the faint metallic tang of the mock battleground.

Her eyes flicked to the ceiling, tracing the intricate network of pipes and beams. "We can use the layout to our advantage. Bakugo's gonna charge straight in, no question. If we take control of the high ground, we might be able to limit his range."

Midoriya nodded, swallowing nervously. "Yeah, and Iida... he'll use his speed to guard the bomb."

"Exactly," Junko said, her voice sharp as she laid out the strategy. "We'll split up. Uraraka, you and Deku find the bomb. I'll distract Bakugo and keep him off your backs."

"But—" Midoriya started to protest, clearly uneasy about letting Junko face Bakugo alone.

Junko cut him off, her voice firm. "Don't worry about me. Just focus on getting to the bomb."