Chapter 24

We're Going to the Mall!

The classroom was unusually tense that morning, the air buzzing with anticipation and nervous energy as Class 1-A waited to hear the results of their final exams. For some students, the looming possibility of not attending the highly-anticipated summer training camp weighed heavily on their minds.

Kirishima, Mina, Sero, Sato, and Denki—the ones who had failed—were sitting together, their faces painted with a mixture of worry and regret. Kirishima, usually a beacon of positivity, sat slouched in his chair, staring at the desk in front of him. Beside him, Denki was nervously bouncing his knee, eyes darting to the door every few seconds. Mina fiddled with her pink hair, her usual carefree attitude diminished.

"I can't believe we failed..." Mina sighed dramatically, flopping her head down on her desk. "No camp for us... we're doomed."

"I-It can't be that bad, right?" Denki tried to sound hopeful but failed miserably. "They wouldn't leave us behind... right?"

Sero crossed his arms, slumping down in his seat. "It's Aizawa-sensei we're talking about. He's serious about this stuff."

"But they can't just leave us behind!" Kirishima exclaimed suddenly, sitting up straight. "We've trained so hard! I mean, we barely failed, right?"

Sato, who had been quietly munching on a protein bar, shook his head. "No one's getting out of this."

Bakugo, sitting a few seats away, snorted. "You losers should've tried harder. Not my problem you couldn't keep up."

Junko, sitting next to Bakugo, gave him a playful shove. "Ease up, Katsuki. They're already down, no need to kick 'em."

Before Bakugo could retort, the door slid open, and Aizawa-sensei entered the room, his usual tired expression plastered on his face. The classroom fell silent immediately, all eyes on their teacher.

Aizawa walked to the front of the room and stopped, surveying the students. His gaze lingered for a moment on the ones who had failed, making them all squirm in their seats.

"As you all know," Aizawa began, his voice calm but carrying an edge, "the results of the final exams determine who will attend the summer training camp. Those of you who passed will proceed as normal. However, those of you who failed..." His gaze sharpened, "...will not be allowed to attend."

The collective groan from the failed students filled the room. Denki dropped his head into his hands, while Mina made a pained sound, like she was physically wounded by the announcement. Kirishima's shoulders slumped further.

"This is it," Mina mumbled into her desk. "We're finished."

Aizawa's eyes gleamed for a moment, a small, almost imperceptible smile tugging at the corner of his lips. "That was the plan."

Denki perked up slightly, a glimmer of hope in his eyes. "W-Wait, 'was'?"

Aizawa's smile turned slightly more unnerving. "In reality, all of you will be attending the camp."

The students blinked, processing what they had just heard. Then, the failed group simultaneously exploded into a mix of disbelief and joy.

"Seriously?" Kirishima leaped out of his seat. "We're going?"

"You mean it? We're not getting left behind?" Mina asked, her voice rising in excitement.

Denki let out a loud whoop, punching the air. "I knew it! There's no way they'd leave us!"

Aizawa held up a hand, cutting through their celebration. "Don't get too excited. The students who failed will be required to take extra classes at the camp to make up for their shortcomings."